Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting to look into my options for a transmission to handle 600+ rwhp (future build). Stangs not my DD and will spend most of its time at the track. Suggestions?

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Level 10, there is no comparaision with TCI. Or I would go with PA (performance automatics) before I went with a TCI unit. I have had bad experiences with TCI as far as their stuff holding up with serious horsepower builds. They are probably great for the mild street build, but if you're looking to put some power down, steer away from them.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Level 10, there is no comparaision with TCI. Or I would go with PA (performance automatics) before I went with a TCI unit. I have had bad experiences with TCI as far as their stuff holding up with serious horsepower builds. They are probably great for the mild street build, but if you're looking to put some power down, steer away from them.
Yea I stayed away from their converter when I upgraded (TCI) due to the horror stories I read. Haven't heard much (good or bad) about their trans. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Yea I stayed away from their converter when I upgraded (TCI) due to the horror stories I read. Haven't heard much (good or bad) about their trans. Thanks for the feedback.
No problem. I am real happy with my Level 10 unit. It shifts firm and fast even with the pressure dialed way down. Tends to be too abrupt for regular street driving but I don"t drive this car but about once a week and going to the track. My torque converter is too loose right now and that just adds to the abruptness of the shifts. But when you get on the throttle it is perfect. Dealing with them as far as shipping and core return was real easy. They ship it in a real nice case and will arrange for return shipping of the core. Made it real easy and trouble free.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I get one free restall on my PI converter which I will do after the built motor is in and dyno'd. Just want to make sure the trans will be able to handle the hp.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Great advice.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
I get one free restall on my PI converter which I will do after the built motor is in and dyno'd. Just want to make sure the trans will be able to handle the hp.
Yeah, I have to get my converter restalled. I have a PI unit too, it's just such a hassle to get it out, ship it out, wait, reinstall it. I should have done it when I did the tranny swap but I didn't think it was going to get that loose with the S/C, but I thought wrong.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was hoping someone here is over 600rwhp with a rebuilt 5r55s. Level 10 states it can handle up to 1000hp. Anyone have experience with the Level 10 track wise?

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
I've only had one track day since putting it in but it performed flawlessly. I don't have no 600 hp though. I'm pushing 482 rwhp but they also told me that 850 to the wheels wouldn't be an issue with this unit. I'm going to race it again on the 25th. Which reminds me, gotta weld those relocation brackets.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Level 10 or PA. I've seen too many issues with TCI stuff...first hand on my buddy's cars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts