Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as soon as my machinist gives me my rotating assembly back the motor will be done and I'm curious what oil I should be using for break in? Non detergent right? And also I have arp head bolts not studs and someone told me I gotta use permatex thread sealent on the headbolts so I don't leak antifreeze?? Wtf?? Can someone shed light please

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I use thread tape on the lower set or coolant will usually leak out.

Any standard oil will work for break in. I wouldn't use Penzoil on my bike chain!!! Just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I use thread tape on the lower set or coolant will usually leak out.

Any standard oil will work for break in. I wouldn't use Penzoil on my bike chain!!! Just my 2 cents!

engines are not my expertise, so please, enlighten me why you dont like pennzoil?

ive been using the synthetic on my stang for years. lol

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
engines are not my expertise, so please, enlighten me why you dont like pennzoil?

ive been using the synthetic on my stang for years. lol
I've been an ASE Master Auto Tech for 25+ years & have taken several Penzoil motors apart. Most have alot of sludge/wax build up. Synthetic may be different? Penzoil is known to use alot of parifin wax in their oil. Just my experiance. Most other oils(Mobil, Valvoline, Quaker, etc.) seem to be alot cleaner!

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Most people I know use regular oil for break in and then switch to synthetic. Partially because it's cheaper but just something to think about

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I used autozone brand oil lol

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I've been an ASE Master Auto Tech for 25+ years & have taken several Penzoil motors apart. Most have alot of sludge/wax build up. Synthetic may be different? Penzoil is known to use alot of parifin wax in their oil. Just my experiance. Most other oils(Mobil, Valvoline, Quaker, etc.) seem to be alot cleaner!
I bought a used pre roller era 302 for my Torino a couple years back, and when I took it apart I was amazed at how much sludge there was. It was caked in the lifter valley, and each rocker arm had a giant goo ball in it. I had always thought those sludge commercials where it dumps on the guys head were bogus, but now I see!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I plan on using moly lube for torque reasons but was worried about the coolant leak issue. So conventional oil is what's needed but it doesn't have to be detergentless lol

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Horsepowerjunkie are u using the standard teflon tape? And my trickflow headgaskets say not to be used with svo style heads... dumb question but how would I know if mine are?

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Horsepowerjunkie are u using the standard teflon tape? And my trickflow headgaskets say not to be used with svo style heads... dumb question but how would I know if mine are?
I've always used just standard teflon tape. If the gaskets came in the Trick Flow kit they are probably Fel Pro for regular heads, you should be safe with them. What heads are you using? Also make sure the "front" part of the head gasket goes to the front of the motor!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts