Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a set of gears in my 94 GT. Which pinion bearing do I need? If you look at this link, it looks like there are two different types. I'm not interested in buying some big kit, just the pinion bearing itself. Which one? And are those brands any good? They have a 1 year warranty.

Ok I can't post links. Which type of pinion bearing do I need? At autozone. c om they sell one where the bearings are on the inside, and one where the bearings face outwards and are exposed. Does it matter which?

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
If I get what your trying to say you need both. The one with the bearings goes on the pinion itself. The other one actually has no bearings on it. It's a race. It gets put (more like tapped really hard) into the housing and the pinion bearing sits in it.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
Unless they are damaged, leave the bearings alone. Jmho.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Unless they are damaged, leave the bearings alone. Jmho.
I agree with this. And unless your rear was run without fluid there probably okay. Mine had over 200k and I couldn't tell the difference between old and we ones

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so I want the one where you can actually see those roller bearing things sticking outwards. THATS the pinion bearing.

Well I found a speed shop that will do the whole job for $250 labor, but they won't do it without replacing the pinion bearing. Just part of their policy I guess. All I gotta do is buy fluid, a bearing, and the gears themselves, according to them. No friction modifier for Royal purple or Redline synthetic fluids.

So I'm going to buy it all on the cheap, (Ford racing gears off craigslist) and then just take it all to them and pay them the $250. That way I keep costs down to a minimum. I can't afford the $800 some people seem to pay for their gear install. For me it needs to be closer to $400 for the whole thing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts