Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I just ordered a new set of gt40 heads for my 87 mustang. Now im looking at Pistons. Are the stock ones good or nah? Im looking get a supercharger as well probaly between 5-8psi. want to make sure i have pistons that will hold up. Also what about the rods attaching to the pistons, someone told me that the stock piston rods are fine but what to get a second opinion. thanks..

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
If things are in order. The rotating assembely will outlast the block.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So your saying i should just leave the stock pistons in there? Will the piston to valve clearance be good?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
remember GT40 are a stock Ford head, so you will be fine.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
the stock pistons were made by TRW and are some seriously heavy forgings... the stock pistons in a 87-92 block will take more than double the hp the block can handle

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry Forgot to say it in the first thread and it was the reason for this entire thread. I also ordered a new cam. Ford racing F303 Supposed to be great for superchargers but it says you may have to check piston-to-valve clearance. Thats why im trying to figure out if the new gt 40 heads will make a differance where they will clear or if i have to replace the piston all together. Thanks..

Ford Racing M-6250-F303 Ford Racing 5.0L Camshafts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
People are gonna gripe that you actually spent money on that cam

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
goddam its expensive, prob coudla found a used one on corral for 80 bucks

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
i seen people give away alphabet cams

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
From what i've read/seen, people CAN make good power with F cams, but if your going to buy new, hit up Ed Curtis or Jay Allen -- especially if your going blower/turbo - they can cut you a nice grind to help with drive ability and milk more hp out of it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well i was told it was a good cam anyways i didnt pay for it friend or mine has some connections with summit and when i ordered the gt40 head he threw in the cam at no charge. But i want to make sure it will fit with the stock pistons.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts