Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to have 17x9s in the front and they kinda came out alittle farther than the fender.. So, to get that nice, clean, and flush look is it best to got with 17x8's? I know 17x10.5 is best to get the flush look in the back I had those in the back and still could of put 1" spacers to give it a more flush look.

But my main concern is.. I have a 1.75inch drop in the front.. what will look best? 17x8 or 17x9 and by best I mean none of the wheel or tire sticks out past the fender.

If I get 17x8 ill get 245/45/17's in the front.
If I get 17x9 ill get 255/40/17.

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
17x9s shouldn't stick out at all...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
17x9s shouldn't stick out at all...
That's what I was thinking too..

What offset are they typically.. I thought the issue was because I bought them on ebay so I sold them.. as soon as I saw them on the other mustang they were perfectly flush.. :mad:

IDK What the deal is with my car at that point.. but i replaced my struts, springs, and camber plates so HOPEFULLY it was one of those three things.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
why wouldn't you want them to stick out :dunno

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
why wouldn't you want them to stick out :dunno

Ehh.. Flush FTW.

I think I am gonna do 17x8 w/ 17x10.5 in the back IF I can find any cool rims in 17x8 if not I'll do the good ol' 17x9 w/ x10.5 HOPEFULLY this time it will go under the car

·
Registered
138 Posts
ya its all about personal liking wether they stick out or not.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Ehh.. Flush FTW.

I think I am gonna do 17x8 w/ 17x10.5 in the back IF I can find any cool rims in 17x8 if not I'll do the good ol' 17x9 w/ x10.5 HOPEFULLY this time it will go under the car
You dont need 17x10.5 in the back unless you are putting sme serious power to the ground. All you will end up doing is add extra weight to slow you down. 17x9 with 275/40/17 is all the tire you need with bolt ons.

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
You dont need 17x10.5 in the back unless you are putting sme serious power to the ground. All you will end up doing is add extra weight to slow you down. 17x9 with 275/40/17 is all the tire you need with bolt ons.
If your going to argue that, you might as well say you don't need rims at all. Just get some prostars and ride on those all day....

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
If your going to argue that, you might as well say you don't need rims at all. Just get some prostars and ride on those all day....
Exactly. Stylish wheels ALWAYS look better, and I prefer the wider tier in the back, as do ALOT of people.

I say 17x9/17x10.5.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I dont need rims.. :dunno
I want them so why wouldn't I just get what I want..
And who said I wouldn't eventually put power down?
F/I is in my car's future.. :mad:

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
i thought you were all looks no go? :dunno

·
Registered
452 Posts
The only "stock" 17x9's are the '95 Cobra R's (R50, R58, M179) and the '03 Cobra's (5-spoke and 10th Anniversary)

Backspacing:

R50 (new style) = 5.98"
R58 (old style) = 5.98"
M179 (ultra rare) = 6.42"

5-spoke '03 = 6.12"
10th Anniversary = 6.12"

So, in general, the Cobra R's will "stick out" a little more than the '03 Cobra's.

But anyway, knowing these numbers, you should be able to determine pretty easily what any other set of rims is going to look like by comparing backspacing to the ones above, which there will be plenty of pictures of.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
No im arguing that a wider than necessary rim is stupid, and not gonna help but actually hurt you.
Exactly. Stylish wheels ALWAYS look better, and I prefer the wider tier in the back, as do ALOT of people.

I say 17x9/17x10.5.
I prefer a wide tire in the back also....thats why i said stay with the 17x9 and go with 275/40/17s....the tire is almost a foot wide. How much more tire do you need with just bolt ons?

I dont need rims.. :dunno
I want them so why wouldn't I just get what I want..
And who said I wouldn't eventually put power down?
F/I is in my car's future.. :mad:
do whatever ya want man, i just gave you a basic physics lesson that u and the majority of everyone else in this thread are failing to comprehend.

Stock '01 Cobra wheels are 17x8, just like the GT's.
+1
yeah the 03/04 cobras were 17x9...the rest were 17x8

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
No im arguing that a wider than necessary rim is stupid, and not gonna help but actually hurt you.
I prefer a wide tire in the back also....thats why i said stay with the 17x9 and go with 275/40/17s....the tire is almost a foot wide. How much more tire do you need with just bolt ons?

If thats the case, then what is a "necessary rims" the factory rims on just about every car work pretty darn good. The only "necessary rims" I can see are prostars and other drag type rims (if your drag racing and need them for slicks / weight) or lightweight rims for circle tracking...

Everything else pretty much is for looks... so if he wants the look of a 315 why not go for it?

·
Registered
452 Posts
If thats the case, then what is a "necessary rims" the factory rims on just about every car work pretty darn good. The only "necessary rims" I can see are prostars and other drag type rims (if your drag racing and need them for slicks / weight) or lightweight rims for circle tracking...

Everything else pretty much is for looks... so if he wants the look of a 315 why not go for it?
Yeah, obviously everything is ultimately personal preference, and if he wants the look of the 315, he should go for it.

However, there is a price to be paid in heavier unsprung mass when you go to huge wheels/tires.

That's a balance that only the purchaser can decide on, though.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts

Why dont all cars come with light weigth drag wheels then? Cause they are ****ing expensive man. How can you say that putting 17x10.5 on a bolt-on v6 is NOT OVERKILL?

Yeah, obviously everything is ultimately personal preference, and if he wants the look of the 315, he should go for it.

However, there is a price to be paid in heavier unsprung mass when you go to huge wheels/tires.

That's a balance that only the purchaser can decide on, though.
+1

extra rotation mass = harder on brakes, slower acceleration, and very poor mpg from wide tires.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts