Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys my car is finally up and running great. Now that its driving correctly. My front rotors have heat spots on them from PO.

I am wanting to get slotted atleast. Possibly drilled. Not sure on the drilled yet.

So now for opinions. Which ones should I buy? Price does not really matter. Best brakes and rotors. Let me know. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
402 Posts
If you're not trying to do a serious brake upgrade like Baer or brembo, and don't want to spend 1500 on the gt500 kit, the 11-12 rotors will fit our cars just fine with only the rotors themselves and the bracket on which the caliper mounts. I know the rotors are on ebay for $50 a pair (new takeoffs). You could probably find brackets online or at least at the dealer. They're not slotted of course but they do increase rotor size from 12.4" to 13.2"

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well... that's an interesting choice. I'm not looking to do any major upgrading. Just something better than stock.

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
I know theres a few people that have done that and it truly just bolts up without any or very very little mod.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Why do you think you want slotted or drilled?

A blank rotor gives more surface area for the pad to work with and provides more braking force. Holes/slots were developed for old-technology pads that would gas-off as they heated up; the holes gave that gas somewhere to go rather than causing the pad to float (greatly reducing if not completely eliminating your braking).

If you have an abundance of braking power, slots/cross-drill is a good way to reduce the weight of the rotor, which reduces your rotating/unsprung mass, and that's a very good thing. Of course, that also means that the rotor takes less heat energy to increase in temperature, and overheating your brakes is bad.

Also, they're pretty, and people like pretty parts. :)

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well learned something new. I always had the impression. That the drilled and slotted actually helped in the cooling action. I don't care much for looks when it come to my brakes. I want something that does its job. If just going with a 11'-12' rotor and pads would be that much better I would rather go that route.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Bobotek and kmac1622, do you guys have any links to using the 11-12 rotors and what is needed? That sounds like a good compromise until putting on a big brake kit.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
I use EBC Sport rotors. They come in the stock size so there is no need for caliper brackets. They are Zinc coated and are slotted and dimpled. In conjunction with their Red Stuff pads, it's a really good combo for the street, and occasional trip to the strip.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks 07. That's actually what I was looking at. Have any part numbers?

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Thanks 07. That's actually what I was looking at. Have any part numbers?
No, But I think I ordered them from autoanything.com (best pricing) and just put make and model in and it will pop up.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok thanks. Ill look them up.

On the 2011 brakes. I can find a whole kit on eBay for $150. That's not bad IMO.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Ok thanks. Ill look them up.

On the 2011 brakes. I can find a whole kit on eBay for $150. That's not bad IMO.
The calipers are the same so you don't need them...although you might be able to sell and make some of your money back. Or you can buy the rotors and brackets separately ($50 each on eBay).

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have not upgraded the brakes on my 06 GT yet but I can tell you that the EBC rotors and pads were a BIG improvement on my Dodge pickup (my work truck). After making a few panic stops, I became a big fan of EBC slotted and dimpled rotors.
They will be going on my Mustang soon.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
I have used EBC brakes on every race vehicle I have had, from motorcycles, to go carts, to drag cars. They have always performed top notch and will continue to run them on every car that I own. Can't wait till the brakes on the turbo Solstice go out and I have to replace them.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I’m upgrading to the 11-12 rotors, I figured it can’t hurt and it will fill up the rim a little more. The pads and the calipers are the same so when I ordered new rotors I just got the 11-12 rotors and picked up the caliper brackets online from Tousley. The only extra cost was the cost of the brackets because I was buying all the other stuff anyway.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I use EBC Sport rotors. They come in the stock size so there is no need for caliper brackets. They are Zinc coated and are slotted and dimpled. In conjunction with their Red Stuff pads, it's a really good combo for the street, and occasional trip to the strip.
I've decided to go with this combo. Love the look of the rotors. Should have them on within a few weeks.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
I've decided to go with this combo. Love the look of the rotors. Should have them on within a few weeks.
Also if you ever plan, like me, on running some 15" wheels at the track you won't encounter issues. My next major will be some black race stars with some Eagle 30"x12" slicks.

·
Registered
402 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts