Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay fellas...sure this has been talked about plenty, but I just need a quick opinion about which s/c I should get (and no, I'm not going turboed).

Paxton or Vortech?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Reason I ask is, I found two on craigslist...one Paxton Novi 2000 for $1200, and a vortech for $1500. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Which model Vortech? How many miles are on both head units? What combination are you looking to put either of these superchargers on? What are you goals?

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Vortech probably has a better track record, but when buying used parts, all bets are off.

Get the serial numbers off of both head units and call the companies and ask about the service records for those head units. That will probably tell you more right there than the sellers will tell you.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
how oftan do u have to have a supercharger serviced??

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
how oftan do u have to have a supercharger serviced??
Depends on how hard you spin it. The impeller can be spinning as high as 70,000 rpms and up. The bearings don't last forever and the oil seals go bad and the impellers sometimes need to be rebalanced. Some models of superchargers also use a kevlar belt inside instead of a gear driven mechanism. This belt wears out and starts to slip eventually.

Each supercharger has a different recommended service interval, but you can bet that if a head unit is 5 years old and has never been returned for service, it is due for some maintenance.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
well i learned my one thing for the day time to go back to bed.. :) thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts