Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to upgrade my stock throttle body. I was under the assumption a stock GT500 throttle body would fit the plenum on my 2.3ltr Whipple Supercharger. I was wrong. So now I’m running a tune from Lund that includes a GT500 throttle body, but I’m running the stock. My tuner says it will just be a little rich but it feels sluggish down low and I can tell its lost power. So here’s my concern, should I have it re-tuned for a stock throttle body, or should I invest $565 for a Ford Racing throttle body? Will it fit the 2.3ltr Whipple for 3V Mustangs, and how much of a power increase should I expect. I think $565 is a little high for minimal gain.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
They make an adapter plate so you can bolt up the GT500 to our manifolds. Not sure how far out that would move the intake tube but fuel rail clearance might be an issue. The polished Ford Racing one is sexy and I'm sure there are a few ponies to be had there, just not sure how much. Besides that one, probably the only other one I would run is the Whipple monoblade, but it does require a bit of modification of the manifold/plenum and you may encounter some light throttle stumbling issues with the monoblade design.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did a little research after the fact, and discovered the adapter plate will not work for Whipple plenums. My tuner did recommend a Whipple monoblade, but didn't want to port my plenum and etc.. and deal with the tuning issues. I would do a Ford Racing install for a solid 10rwhp w/ tune if it made the throttle more efficient. Anything has to be better than how it feels now..lol

·
Registered
116 Posts
Couple things...are you still on stock internals? I didn't bother swapping T/Bs until I built the motor. The OEM T/B was more than capable of flowing enough to destroy factory rods.

If you have a local machine shop, it is very easy to convert to a GT500 bolt pattern and open up the elbow. It will also give you a chance to clean up some of the rough casting and blend transitions.

Take this for what it is worth but I have heard from an aerospace engineer that works in airflow/aerodynamics that the monoblade T/Bs actually flow air similar to a dough nut...dead spot in the middle. Also part of the previous problems with the monoblade was a week bar that would flex as the engine applied vacuum to the back side of the butterfly at part throttle. IIRC the L&M 72MM twin bore is supposed to flow 2400 cfm and doesnt come with any of the tuning issues like the monos are known for.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^ Thanks for your insight. I do not have built internals which is why I wondered if upgrading the throttle body is even worth it. Sounds like I just need to get a dyno tune to sort out my tunning issues and not worry about it.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
The GT500 TB definitely won't work with the Whipple plenum. When we were dyno tuning my car at JPC after the build I had a GT500 TB which I was going to install while on the dyno. The problem is the o-ring will end up in the opening rather than the machined surface intended for the o-ring. I went with the L&M twin 62mm model. Justin Burcham happened to have one there (used on a customer's car). He called the guy and he sold it to me...nice polished piece. We dynoed the car before and after and it made about a 34 hp difference.

Here's a link to the dyno graph >http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010/203234-tuned-302-stroker-whipple.html

·
Registered
258 Posts
Well In my opinion, save yourself a whole bunch of grief and go with the Ford Racing 62mm.
Bolts right up and if I recall correctly, I got about 23 whp on the dyno when i was NA.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
The L&M version is actually a bit cheaper than the FRPP and it has polished blades and shaft too. Very well built.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts