Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 16x7 wheels currently. I would like to get wider wheels, but don't have the cash. Besides, I like how my Image wheels look. Anyway, I have 225/50/16's on it right now. I need tires with better traction. Don't want to buy cheap wheels and switch wheels at the track (rarely go). I want something that will hold up safely on the street, but still sticky at the strip. I am told 245/50 is too wide for this wheel, or I'd go Nitto 555r's. I was looking online and came across Kuhmo XS tires in 225/50/16 which looked like a possibilty. Anyone use them? Any other suggestions? I looked at Hoosier quicktimes, but they look too much like a slick. I wanted more of a drag radial that is street legal so I don't get hassled if I get pulled over. What are you guys running with 16x7 wheels?

·
Registered
176 Posts
you can always go the classic BFG Radial T/A. they dont have the most traction in the world but the width of your wheel is limiting. i would look into getting some 10 holes or something. you are going to need a wider. i have some 17x8 94 gt wheels you could stick on there.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
225/55/16 Fusion radial on front, 255/50/16 MT Drag Radial out back!

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
im unsure of what size wheel i have maybe its a 16x8 but it maybe a 16x7 but my point is i had bf goodrich zr some thing .....16/55/245 on the rear, they worked pretty good now i have yokahama 16/55/235 but one i switch to some welds wheels im going widder

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
With a 7" wide wheel, you're not really gonna be able to get into anything bigger. With a 225, you're already running at 125% of the wheel width, which is as wide as I'd recommend for anything you're running on the street. For a more dedicated track car, you could go up to ~130%, but I don't think there's really the advantage there compared to running the tire width you want on a more suitable width wheel.

Mind you, my bias is cornering, so YMMV.

·
Registered
176 Posts
yea dexter is right on that one. i guess we should have asked if this track you want to go to was a strip or road course. in all actuality in the long run i think you would be better running a wider wheel and tire combo all together. im running 15x10 on 295/55/15 MT ET streets.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I'm just looking for the stickiest tire for a 16x7 wheel. I don't want to go Hoosier slicks or anything that would be track only. The car will be 95% street and maybe 5% strip at most. I know many companies don't make a 225 50 16 in a drag radial anymore. I guess I was hoping someone found something that works for these size wheels better than what I have now.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I was using some Mickey Thompson ET Streets, 27x10.50x16 bias plys on my 16x7 pony wheels. They did ok on the street and were great at the drag strip. I have a stiff rear suspension though, the 27 tall might not be a great idea for softer suspension. Might have rubbing issues.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
For that size wheel, you can find sticky rubber, but it's going to be handling-oriented, which means stiff sidewalls. 16x7 is just too narrow for companies that make drag-oriented tires to really care about. Anyone who wants to go fast in a straight line, (even the Honda guys) step up to a wider wheel. Even diameter-wise you're kinda in an abandoned size, dedicated drag wheels are usually 15s and everyone else is running 17" at the minimum.

If you're still 4-lug, your wheel choices are gonna be pretty limited. You can do a 5-lug swap pretty cheap (really cheap if you've got good junkyards available). I did one in my driveway with LMR's kit (~$250, IIRC), and if I can do it, anyone can, hahaha. Once you go 5-lug, you can find wheels for CHEAP, and they'll be in much better sizes for what you want to do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts