Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to figure out what transmission to put in my car. I have a stock 93 302 with ported world sr heads, custom cam, kennebell blowzilla/flowzilla supercharger, ported gt-40 lower, snow meth injection, approx. 450-500 hp.

The car has 3.55 gears, eaton posi, moser axles, aluminum driveshaft (not sure if it is stock).

It is a yellow 1993 limited edition lx convertable with saleen bodykit.

I bought the car last year and soon after it got stuck in third gear. I was told it was a tremec tko. So I pulled it out the other day and ran the tag number which is (1352 251) showing it is a tremec world class t5 which is rated at 330 Ft-lbs of torque:mad:. The transmission was taken apart and the 3-4 sychro was busted and some chunks were found in the bottom of the transmission.

I am thinking of ordering a tko 500 or 600 but not sure which would be best to get. Or is there another transmission available to handle the torque.

I also plan to do more work to the car. Possibly a dart 347 or 363 and more boost. So I need a transmission that will allow me to do so.

Also if i go with the tko what else do i need to change? (driveshaft, clutch, bellhousing, transmission mount) Or will it bolt right in?

Any help and information would be much appreciated.

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
everyone Ive heard of having a tko hates it, they shift shitty. Supposedly theres a new synchro kit for 3550s that made them alot smoother, id look into that or a synchrod gforce kit

·
Registered
325 Posts
A tko 500 is the same price as a 600 last time I checked so if you choose between them two, go with the six. Most people don't like them though. If its a really high horsepower and torque car with drag radials, i wouldnt even go with a standard unless you can't hook up well enough to break the tranny. Get a built c4. They also make another electronic transmission that sells for like $8k, I forgot what brand and ****. My buddy has one installed in his 768rwhp cobra. He used to have a tko in it but completely blew that POS into pieces with his car.

·
Atomized
1,397 Posts
i have power shifted the **** out of a tko and i loved it. Punks the **** out of an auto or a t5. I didn't think it was to notchy. It just felt solid.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The astro performance website doesn't work for me not sure why.

I recently found a built t-56 close by for close to 2000. I am looking at that right now. i am just gonna get the build sheet from him to see what is done to it. It is from an 03 cobra.

Anybody got information on what i would need to install this transmission? I've done some searching but never found a bell housing or adapter.

I am not looking at swapping to an automatic. I wanted a standard.

Thanks

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
Viper spec T56

I have a t56 in my turbo car and love it but its not a viper spec and also have a tremec 3550 in my daily driver and **** takes a beating like a good wife

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The t-56 i'm looking at was built by 6 speed inc. It is suppose to built to viper spec. It has the gear ratio 1st-2.66 2nd-1.78 3rd-1.30 4th-1.00 5th-.80 6th-.63. I haven't read anything good about this gear ratio though. The first seems to be to tall and the 6th gear isn't any taller than my t-5.

Wouldn't this make my car slower and not any better on fuel? I have 3.55 gears and 275/40r17 (I believe) mt drag radials.

Also does anybody know where and how much a bellhousing is for an 03 cobra t-56 to 302 foxbody conversion?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Look up D&D Motorsports they guys know the deal on all things 5/6 speed trannies...

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,555 Posts
Look up D&D Motorsports they guys know the deal on all things 5/6 speed trannies...
I do not reccomend dealing with D&D Performance or Walsh Motorsports!!! I had a very bad experience dealing with these guys. Ultimately it is up to you, but I would drive across the country, or pay to ship rather than give them my business. One ****ing was enough....

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
I am thinking of ordering a tko 500 or 600 but not sure which would be best to get. Or is there another transmission available to handle the torque.

I also plan to do more work to the car. Possibly a dart 347 or 363 and more boost. So I need a transmission that will allow me to do so.
Check here for some options too. If you're wanting to go more than what you've already got, faceplating is something to think about.

LIBERTYS TTC TRANSMISSIONS

1 - 14 of 14 Posts