Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i put it on but i still have a leak so i think i might of stuck it on the wrong way.
the gasket im talking about is in between the manifold and the mid pipe.

now the gasket is all metal, there is a small lip on one side and a thicker lip on the other side, which way do i put it?

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
I put the bigger lip in the midpipe. I have no leaks :)

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
The thinner seal goes on the mid pipe side and the thicker on the Exaust headers the reason is because after market headers have a deeper groove on the header. If your still rolling on the stock manifolds it doesnt really matter.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I out the bigger lip inside but it's leaking
Is the copper Rtv stuff high enough temptature
If it's still leaking with the bigger lip toward the manifold, you probably don't have the manifold bolted up good enough. Depending on how the mid-pipe is setup, I have Prochamber, I installed the legs to the manifold first and got a good tight fit, then worked my way down.

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
I out the bigger lip inside but it's leaking
Is the copper Rtv stuff high enough temptature
If this is the case then you just do not have your pipe lined up properly, what happens is the gasket might move out of the ridge a little while your trying to adjust the pipe and leak. Its best to put a jack on the back of the midpipe and jack the rear up to the install height, then you can adjust your mid pipe to header properly. If you try to put this thing on and the back is leaning down on you it will leak everytime cause your pulling the pipe up as you tighetn down the forward bolts and the gasket will not seat properly.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Ultra copper wont stop anything from leaking there. Too high of temps. Trust me tried it a dozen times. And I never could get that gasket to stay leak free. They say use ford gaskets only for the best results , which I did. Still no luck.
LTs FTW!

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
I made this same exact thread when I was installing a new midpipe.

The lip of the seal goes towards the manifolds. The thinner side goes towards the mid pipe. Also, only torque to 30 ft/lbs or you risk killing that gasket. I also used some high temp copper sealant for good measure. No leaks here

·
Registered
257 Posts
If the gasket still doesnt fix it your exhaust manifold bolts in the collector might need to swapped out for full threaded ones. Sometimes aftermarket mid pipes cant be tightened enough so you have to change bolts. I didnt read if you had a different mid or not

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
If the gasket still doesnt fix it your exhaust manifold bolts in the collector might need to swapped out for full threaded ones. Sometimes aftermarket mid pipes cant be tightened enough so you have to change bolts. I didnt read if you had a different mid or not
+1

I had to extract out my stock studs and replace with aftermarket studs without the spacer.

A search will yield what we are talking about

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
+1

I had to extract out my stock studs and replace with aftermarket studs without the spacer.

A search will yield what we are talking about
I'm fairly sure the 2000 and 2001 had most of these problems, so it's a good option to look into. They have the studs at the local parts store also.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
this seems very hard to do to extract the studs... i think im going to take off the prochamber and put some copper silicone on bothsides of the gasket and then put it on

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wait.... the manifold or? the bottom of the header

1 - 17 of 17 Posts