Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 5" tach/rpm gauge. Just figured to make installation easier, id ask if anyone knows the exact color of the wire to tap into for the tach. Where it may be located as well... Thanks... 2000 Mustang GT

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
Unless it's a tach that gets a signal from the coils, you'll need an AutoMeter 9117 Tach Adapter to pull the proper tachometer voltage signal.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unless it's a tach that gets a signal from the coils, you'll need an AutoMeter 9117 Tach Adapter to pull the proper tachometer voltage signal.
yea on instructions it says green wire attaches to coil negative.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
red - 12v ignition switch (+)
black - engine ground
green - On standard ignitions green wire attaches to coil negative (-) or electronic ignitions such as MSD connect wire to tach terminal.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts

that pin #26 is what I used for my shift light

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@ 0949er thanks... It looks as if that wiring bundle is near the floor board.. is that located on the driver side to the right? like behind the stereo? Can I reach it by laying down in the floor board or would I need to take my cover off where the cd player is?

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
@ 0949er thanks... It looks as if that wiring bundle is near the floor board.. is that located on the driver side to the right? like behind the stereo? Can I reach it by laying down in the floor board or would I need to take my cover off where the cd player is?
that is actually the main harness for your computer that is in the passenger side fender, under that pick pannel. If you were sitting in the passenger seat, its behind the cover that's to the right of your right foot.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that is actually the main harness for your computer that is in the passenger side fender, under that pick pannel. If you were sitting in the passenger seat, its behind the cover that's to the right of your right foot.
Alrighty.. thanks man.. u just saved me alot of sweat and headache!! haha

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Alrighty.. thanks man.. u just saved me alot of sweat and headache!! haha
haha all good man, hope you get it working! the wires are REALLY tight, so if you dont have those "snap on" splicers, you might have a hard time splicing a wire into there. I made a makeshift "extender" wire out of speaker wire I had laying around to give me some "room" to work with. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
haha all good man, hope you get it working! the wires are REALLY tight, so if you dont have those "snap on" splicers, you might have a hard time splicing a wire into there. I made a makeshift "extender" wire out of speaker wire I had laying around to give me some "room" to work with. :cool:
I just went out and took a look at it.. took the plastic covers off.. I see there is a 10mm bolt holding a plate on that covers the wire clips.. I will fool with it a lil later on.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
unplug your battery before you mess with it!!

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well I attempted to hook it up. lol... I was able to trim a little of the green covering off that wire.. I hooked tach's green wire to it.. and started the car and the tach gauge isnt working.. not sure what the problem is. I have the back of my tach set to 8 cylinder. I hope the tach gauge isn't a lemon. haha Guess i will have to let my more mechanically inclined friend look at it.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I'm going to go back to an earlier post that I would bet you need a Tach Adapter to run that.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
does the gauge have a 12v source and is it grounded?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts