Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an RPM activated switch and a small custom LED strip to act as a shift light.

Here are the instructions that came with my RPM switch, it's supposed to be connected to the lead tach signal wire rather than the coil wire like most RPM switches that people get for mustangs. Anyone know which wire is the tach lead signal wire?

I'm going to assume it's one of the wires here that connects to the cluster, though I'm oblivious as to which one.

Any input is appreciated, thanks!

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
You will need to get a tach adapter so it gets the correct signal

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tach Signal GMR Pickup, PN 8918
Such as this?

Though I thought we had a tach signal wire already in our cars going to the cluster.

Here's something from corral.net:

Connect your Tach Signal Input to pin 8 on CN2. This is circuit 11 (Instrument cluster Tach Signal Input) in the Ford schematics and is feed from the EEC-V Pin 48 Electronic Diagnostic Signal (Circuit 659).
That's for a 1996 though, they didn't change the cluster from the SN95 over to the new edge did they?

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
you can always go to the injector harness and use the wire that is not common. each injector has a wire that is the same on all then another that is different on each. Just use the one thats not common. This is a tach signal.

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
if the switch cant read a 1cyl signal, then you have to run a signal adapter. if you can use a 1cyl signal, then you can use the left wire off the the coil connector.

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
if the switch cant read a 1cyl signal, then you have to run a signal adapter. if you can use a 1cyl signal, then you can use the left wire off the the coil connector.
There has got to be an easy way to wire in a tach using what is in the car already. I would like to look at some wiring diagrams for our cars and see what it would take to convert that signal or what to tie into to make it work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts