Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
got the GT back yesterday and its running good, to say the least. it pulls way harder, even in 5th! havent had a chance to run it hard, but i can tell it is much faster now. heres the chart, this is the street tune numbers, there is also a race tune but it was pinging so we only ran the street tune.

the numbers are 419 rwhp/ 389 tq @ 8psi boost

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
419hp and 389tq, thats really low for 8psi! somethings not right there you sure its 8psi?

is it the intercooled kit??

I have the 10psi kit intercooled kit and its at 470HP and 450tq, you should be well within that range. but that dyno line doesn't look right.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i just corrected it, @ 8 psi
yes its the HO kit w/ the intercooler. the tuner said it can make more power w/ the race tune but w/ the tuned down street tune it was smoother and w/out the ping.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
your tuner should be able to squeeze the power it can deliver safely without the internals going, especially be able to take care of the pinging. either that, or he doesn't know what he's doing. but something about that A/F curve doesn't look good. I'm no expert. I'm just comparing it to my dyno sheets and other whipple dyno sheets.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you mean its a little too lean? or what exactly.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I thought your powerband would start out alot steeper than that, that looks like a centri blower powerband...

Heck, my turbo was at full power/boost at 3,000rpm, a twin screw is suppose to climb quicker than a turbo

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
thats why I keep looking at that chart and go, WTF! What the heck did you tuner do to that car?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it was running on the conservative street tune. there is also a race tune, but did not run it on the dyno yet w/ that one.

i'm happy where it is. i wanted a safe tune to run on the street and not worry too much about the internals....for now.

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
that looks like a centri blower powerband...
Are you kidding me? The TQ curve is super flat. Pretty much 375ftlb across the board. Show me any centri that can do that.

There are some bumps in the tq curve and probably a little more power in the mid rpms range. its a little lean for my blood (past about 5K) especially when non intercooled. Non IC, I'd shoot for 11.5 across the board.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
actually it is the IC whipple HO, just laying down the foundation for possible upgrade later....maybe. but i'm very satisfied where its at now.:)

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
you can still put down more power with a conservative safe tune and not worry about the internals....just an FYI

but hey, its your car bro

·
Registered
600 Posts
i dont understand, around 4500rpms looks as if the motor drops off for a second, or as if the tuner was letting off the gas.not sure

·
Registered
660 Posts
His tuner doesnt know what he's doing, but we cant fault him for that, I've had to deal with my tuner being inexeperienced on these cars myself but we worked through it. Its about building a good relationship, and it pays off in the long run. My tuner is a very well know and capable 5.0 tuner, he's just new to the S197 game. If you look at this guy's graph you'll notice the sharp drop off at 5,200 rpms, his problem is the tuner hasnt adjusted the "TQ anti- stall" parameter on his comp. Doing this will allow him to run significantly more time and will eliminate the premature spark knock he is experiencing. Inform your tuner of this and go from there. Also I know SC'd cars run a little richer for safety reasons but consider this, if he's running 12.5 A/F at the tailpipe he's actually running around 11.5 at the engine, its typical to be about a point richer than what its reading at the tip. In that case 11.5 is in my opinion even a little rich for forced induction.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for all the feedback, good and bad. i just got the car back yesterday, so there's nowhere to go but up. it is a lot more power than i'm used to....but i'm sure i'll get used to it pretty quick.:D

·
Registered
177 Posts
My standard Whipple HO tune that came with the SC put down
409 rwhp.
After a custom tune and tuning over 4 dyno pulls I wound up with
479 rwhp std, corrected 467.23 SAE
450.44 rwtq
Trust me It is a true BEAST !!!!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Yeah see this is where i was coming from. Go to a more experienced dyno shop and pump 450 rwhp out of her. That will be simple..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts