Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So project outdomybrotherbecauseheboughtanew5.0afterridinginmy06gt is officially underway. If you couldn't tell by the title, I'm installing a used Whipple HO kit. I plan on doing a full engine bay detail while everything is out and painting the valve covers. Anyone ever done a wire tuck, or would it be less painful to have someone come over and kick me in the sack and skip it entirely.

Is there anything I should be on the lookout for since the kit is used? Or any other little projects i should tackle while its torn down? Any tips or words of wisdom from anyone that has already done this is appreciated.

:pics

·
Registered
116 Posts
Depends how far you want to break down the Whipple. I took the mounting plate, intercooler and rear elbow off the compressor. I cleaned up all the rough casting spots in the lower manifold, plate and elbow. Drilled and tapped the mounting plate for 1/8"NPT ports to install a meth/water kit down the road. You could also do nitrous ports but I would double check the size since I believe they are smaller than 1/8"NPT.

My mounting plate was also drilled and tapped to accept 3/4"NPT fittings to -12AN male. I went ahead and upgrade the pump, heat exchanger and expansion tank. Lower manifold was covered with heat shielding to help reduce heat soaking from the engine valley.

I removed a decent amount of material out of the rear elbow. Also had it machined to accept the GT500 bolt pattern throttle bodies. The inside of the vacuum ports has also been filled with Devcon aluminum which I then smoothed to match the contour of the bend of the elbow. I only run 1 vacuum port of the elbow so that was just a matter of running a drill through it.

With this said, my Whipple straight out of the box ran awesome on the stock motor and none of this was necessary until I started getting a little carried away.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
Did you get everything you needed in the used kit? Fuel pumps, IC pumps and stuff, harness extensions, injectors, and all the hoses and stuff?

Wire tuck is somewhere down the road for me and it's a toss up as far as doing that and getting your sack kicked. All depends on how you are with soldering and if you're going to go as far as color coding wires and where you actuall move the ECU and fuse/relay box. I've seen some put behind the passenger wheel well and I've seen them in the passenger footwell. Just be warned it is a tedious and has to be done meticulously to avoid electrical issues. But one day it will get done. Along with re-routing hoses too.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The kit came with everything but the the fuel upgrades it all looks to be in great condition. A little dirty but nothing some degreaser isn't fixing. I got my injectors and fuel hat upgraded by Jeremy from S&H on s197.

Still up in the air on the wire tuck, I'll probably wait til I do a battery relocation maybe next winter.

My elbow has already been modified to fit a mono blade throttle body so I think ill call that good enough until I start "going overboard"

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I was working on the car a little today and saw these little black sensor looking things on the front of each head. What are they?

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally got this thing finished up and dynoed! Had the tuning done by Mike at Mid Atlantic Performance in Richmond, VA far surpassed my expectations. Made 477 HP and 429TQ. Supporting mods are Kooks lts w/ catted x, Black Diamond Throttlebody, Denny's drive shaft. Been an awsome day!!

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Did a partial wire tuck on passenger-side this past fall, took a lots of time, beer and a hours of soldering!!! A word of advise: make sure to are committed to doing it cause once you cut all those wires in the harness, their's no turning back. I enjoy pain, now I am replacing hoses with Aeroquip braided lines with Russell fittings.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
THAT^^ looks sharp

1 - 9 of 9 Posts