Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a 2007 Mustang GT with a Whipple already on it. I think it's a Gen1.Anyway the other day I went to leave my house.The car was running for a couple minutes before I left. I ended up killing it. When I went to start it ,it turned over about 4or5 times then it finally caught. But when it caught it was loping at about 300rpm. I tried to give it gas and nothing happened. So I sat there for about 1 1/2 minutes then it finally revved up and drove fine. It did it to me again yesterday,but took longer to run right.Does anyone have any idea whats going on. Like I said I just bought the car about 3 weeks ago. So I don't know a whole lot on the Whipple install and tune. I was told that a Ford dealership installed it and put in the tune. Sorry for so long. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
If a Ford dealer installed it I'm pretty sure they installed a ProCal canned tune more than likely. You really should consider a professional dyno tune. Another thing to do is whenever you do a cold start with a twin screwed 3-valve make sure you always let it warm up completely before driving. That means about 5 minutes at least before driving.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just wanted to make sure it wasn't anything else. It only did it twice and that was when it was cold. I've been letting it warm up for 3 or 4 minutes now. It seems to take off better after it's warmed up. I live south of Tyler Texas which is about 2 hours from Dallas. Who would be a good tuner around here? Thanks

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I don't know who a good tuner is around you, but definitely, even in the hot summer let the car get up to full temp. A good dyno tune will grab an extra 40-50 hp than a ProCal canned tune and you'll know the a/f will be right on the money.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
The guy that tuned my car is one of the best around and he told me to make sure to always warm it up before I even installed the Whipple. I have started it and tried to drive in less than a minute and it was terrible. The problem is that a twin screw dumps serious loads of air in at the very touch of the throttle and tunes are designed to work with this air at normal temps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I can really feel the differance. When it's cold it's a little jerky.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I just wanted to make sure it wasn't anything else. It only did it twice and that was when it was cold. I've been letting it warm up for 3 or 4 minutes now. It seems to take off better after it's warmed up. I live south of Tyler Texas which is about 2 hours from Dallas. Who would be a good tuner around here? Thanks
HPP in DFW

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Mine's a lot jerky, even when just pulling out of the garage.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
yea mine too....... deerrrr

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
Houston Performance it close to you...or same state lol

Tyler, Texas....That Ken Herring* has that business Tyler Chassis Works. Hell ask him lol

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I bought my car with the whipple already installed also by the factory. Im just waiting on the funds to get a dyno tune. It runs much better when it is warm but I haven't had any of the problems you have.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
definitely get a dyno tune when you get a chance and +1 on letting it run a few minutes before driving, especially in cold weather.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've been letting it warm up alittle longer and it seems to be better. I'll be getting a dyno tune as soon as possible. Thanks everyone for all the info:D

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Get the tune and before you line it up make sure it's money well spent by a reputable 3-valve tune guy. Believe me, the guys that know the 3-valve are doing it every day. They are complicated, especially when dealing with a positive displacement blower. Don't waste your hard earned cash on some jackbag that claims to know the 3-valve. Make sure they do because it really does matter like a son of a bitch.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
The guy that tuned my car is one of the best around and he told me to make sure to always warm it up before I even installed the Whipple. I have started it and tried to drive in less than a minute and it was terrible. The problem is that a twin screw dumps serious loads of air in at the very touch of the throttle and tunes are designed to work with this air at normal temps.
Mine's a lot jerky, even when just pulling out of the garage.
yeah so is mine. i should let mine warm up more than i do
Me too...thing is a twitchy, over-powered, tire roasting angry bronco when you first start it and it is cold...but it mellows out in just a few minutes.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
LOL... :no

I've been letting it warm up alittle longer and it seems to be better. I'll be getting a dyno tune as soon as possible. Thanks everyone for all the info:D
How long are you guys letting your cars warm up for? It needs to be warmed up for a few minutes otherwise it's going to have issues with a twitchy throttle. It's just the nature of the beast.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts