Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a 1999 Cobra and I recently replaced the oil and spark plugs because it was bellowing what appeared to be white smoke that smelled of gas. The codes i pulled from it said number 2 cylinder was miss firing. After replacing the spark plugs the problem seems to have gone away, besides the small amount of white smoke coming out of the exhaust. Could I have only temporarily fixed the problem or am I being paranoid?

·
Registered
689 Posts
white smoke can mean blown head gasket also. but if the code said cylinder 2 then thats probably it. might have to change the cop also.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh yeah when i did the plugs they seemed fine, other than one had the coil sticking out slightly, but it wasnt the cop on cylinder 2 and im pretty sure i dont have a cracked head because i have no other problems.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
everytime my code has said a cylinder misfire i have had to change the spark plug and cop... maybe my car is an exception, just speaking from experience.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
everytime my code has said a cylinder misfire i have had to change the spark plug and cop... maybe my car is an exception, just speaking from experience.
Its possible, but doubtful. If there is white smoke and he has no reason to think its a coolant leak(head gasket), its probably a stuck injector. The gas is still getting ignited, hence white smoke, but there's just too much of it. Probably misfiring because that cylinder is being flooded. Plug/s might have to be replaced for running rich though.

·
Registered
185 Posts
When is the smoke coming out? does it come out constantly or only when you take off from sitting at a red light or what?

·
Registered
505 Posts
not trying to hi jack thread but im having the same problem but without a misfire code. i can hear a slight misfire in my exhaust but it idles fine and smokes a little. no coolant in oil or loss of coolant.

·
Registered
695 Posts
id pull the plugs and look at them its easy to tell whats going on with the air and fuel

Edit: this was in response to the thread jacker, the op already said he changed his plugs, however if he still has the old ones, they might tell him something about whats going on

1 - 15 of 15 Posts