Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Turbo'd Hot Hatch
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to share my build for my current car, a 2013 Focus ST. While not a Mustang I thought I'd go ahead and share this with you guys since I love this place so much and because the ST forum are kind of dead.

Some quick thoughts about the car:
Coming from a 2011 V6 Stang I wasn't really sure what to expect when getting this car. I knew I loved up since it debuted at the LA Auto show back in 2011 and I've always been a fan of hot hatches. What I didn't expect was just how much fun this damn car is. Maybe it's the manual transmission, maybe it's the turbo'd engine, all I know is this thing is way more fun than my last two stangs were, especially in the corners. I love the interior, especially the Recaro seats, which is a big reason why I bought the car. Also white is so much easier to keep clean than black. Deep down however, I'm still a Mustang guy and will own another again some day as a project car. Anyways, enough rambling here's my build.

Performance Mods:
SCT Custom Tuned (Unleashed Tuning)
Steeda Short Shifter Bracket
E-Focus Rear Motor Mount

Aesthetic Mods:
FXR HID Retrofit (What a major PITA, separate write up later)
Mudflaps
Plastidipped wheels
Shark Fin Antenna
Tint

Mods up next:
Miltek Exhaust
COBB CAI
COBB Intercooler
CP-E Rear Motor mount
Wilwood BBK

PICTURES:

My '11 Stang the day I traded her in:

My ST all stock

Interior:

First Mods Black wheels and mud flaps:

FXR Retrofit (Will do a separate write up later in the thread):

More to come as I continue my build...

Also feel free to ask me anything!

·
The Aviator
6,305 Posts
Rob... You got rid of your stang! NOOO. I should have stolen your headlights first. lol.

Nice new ride! I'm personally not a fan of hatches but you got yourself a nice one.

·
Turbo'd Hot Hatch
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks man! I actually still have my headlights but I recently tore one of them apart. You probably wouldn't have wanted them anyways they were in pretty rough shape. However, if you really are interested in retrofitting them let me know. I'd love to help you out.

Anyways glad to hear you're doing well, I'll have to check out your site. I have some spare parts from my Mustang laying around I've been meaning to get rid of. You're done with school, I'm assuming?

·
The Aviator
6,305 Posts
I ended up getting smoked halogens...

Both you and Stewart have new cars. He upgraded to a 5.0. I'm probably the slowest of us 3 now... Even with my LT headers. lol

I'm wanting to wait, and save up for the 2014 Stingray. :drool

In our first few weeks we've gotten about 100+ new signups and nearly everyone is local to our area. Let me know what you think too! Its a big project and I'm working on it daily (even now.)

How's life on your end?

·
Turbo'd Hot Hatch
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your Stang looks sweet, love the hood! Yeah Stewart was telling me about his 5.0, that thing is badass!

I love those new Stingrays, :drool. You'll have to give me a ride whenever you get it. Haha.

Life's been good to me lately. Graduated last June and got full time job at the university as a finance analyst. I recently moved departments and got a promotion and my own office. So I'm pretty happy with things. I'm planning to back and get my MBA in the next couple of years.

We should plan a meetup soon with all three of us again. Do weekends work for you?

·
The Aviator
6,305 Posts
Sounds like you are on a successful career path. Props to you, man!

Weekends work. (I only get weekends off.)

I don't think I owned my house when we went on our last meet? Anyway, I'm not sure where Stewart is stationed at this time, but you guys are always welcome to come BBQ at my house over here in the hills by Oak Glen. Or meet somewhere midway.

But yeah, lets get the trio back together! :lol

·
Turbo'd Hot Hatch
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank bud!

No you didn't have your house yet when we last met up. I remember you purchasing it a few month later. I wouldn't mind meeting up there. Stewart says he's still living in Oceanside so we'll have to see if he doesn't mind driving up there or if we'll have to meet somewhere in the middle. I'll touch base with him and see what works.

---------- Post added at 05:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 PM ----------

Anyways back to the actual build. One of the first things I did put on when I bought this car was put on a Green filter. It's an open box design. I bought this mainly because I loved the sound and it looks sweet. No performance gains here, and I don't believe the marketing bullshit the company says about adding 15hp. LOL. I'll swap this out for a real CAI down the road.

·
The Aviator
6,305 Posts
Are you still towards LA/Rancho area?

Also, do you still have my #? If not I'll PM it to ya.

By the way, cool filter. :lol

·
Turbo'd Hot Hatch
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I knew I was going to get made fun for that damn filter. LMAO, oh well.

Anyways, one of the biggest complaints about the ST is the weak rear motor mount Ford put in. They left it unchanged from the standard Focus. This causes sever wheel hop in 1st and 2nd as well as causing the engine to bang against the firewall under agressive shifting in these gears. Someone discovered that the Electric focus model that Ford put out has a much better designed rear motor that greatly reduces wheel hop and the 1st to 2nd engine bang. All for around $60. Also it doesn't effect drivability like a lot of the aftermarket motor mounts do. Most people complain of major vibrations with these, which sucks if the car is your DD. I'd like to switch to CP-E's motor mount in future as it completely eliminates wheel hop and the engine bang and has little effect on driveability after being broken in.

No install pics unfortunately but I do have a comparison of the two mounts. Bottom one is the old mount and the top one is the Electric focus mount.

·
Turbo'd Hot Hatch
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Detailed the ST this weekend. Spent 8ish hours doing it but it was worth it in the end.

Washed the car.
Clayed it using Mother's clay kit.
Used Chemical Guys V36 to do some minor paint correction.
Followed up by using Mezerna's 4000 Ultra fine polish
Finished with Chemical Guy's Jet seal.

Result:

Overall I'm pretty happy with how it came out. I didn't quite achieve the level of paint correction I wanted but I blame that on not having a proper DA. Next time I'll do it better.

Oh and also installed some LED DRL's in the lower grill. I know most of you don't like this kind of thing but I'm a sucker for high quality lighting. These suckers are super bright too.

·
Rent Asunder!
11,806 Posts
Very nice, ST! You should hit up FSWerks in Anaheim, CA. They've been specifically working with the Focus since it came out back in 2000. They're the ones who did my turbo kit and tuning on my car.

·
Turbo'd Hot Hatch
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very nice, ST! You should hit up FSWerks in Anaheim, CA. They've been specifically working with the Focus since it came out back in 2000. They're the ones who did my turbo kit and tuning on my car.
Thank you! I'll definitely have to check them out. I've seen some of there stuff for the ST but haven't done a lot of research on them.

·
Turbo'd Hot Hatch
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got a hell of a deal for a Magnaflow Catback system from Amazon.

$470 shipped, believe it or not. Installed it two weekends ago. Great deep sound, with no drone at high-way speeds. Very happy with it. Here are some pics.

Magnaflow:

Exhaust comparison:

Install shots:

·
Turbo'd Hot Hatch
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Couple of small updates. First I got my rim powder-coated a metallic gray. I love how they turned out.

And second I installed this power adder.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts