Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen on here where people say if you ever intend on getting a supercharger that you shouldn't get the 4.10 gears but to get 3.73. Why is this?

·
Premium Member
14,288 Posts
it depends on how much boost u intend to run.

Most guys feel that with the 4.10's anything more then 10-12 psi and they run out of gear and have to shift before they reach max boost levels. with 3.73's they have that extra second or so at WOT to put the power to the ground a little longer

Reactions: Oddball

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I figured it was something like that but wasn't sure.

·
Premium Member
14,288 Posts
Thanks, I figured it was something like that but wasn't sure.
also, ur top speed caps off at about 158 mph or so, u'll flat out run out of gear and have no where to shift. I beleive with 3.73's u top out at 175ish...

·
Banned
5,174 Posts
Accoarding to a nice little calc I have, top speed for 4.10 is 173 mph while 3.73 tops @ 191 (both 6K rpm's in 5th gear)

With 4.10's you'd be shifting @ about 118mph into 5th vs 130 for 3.73's giving you the ability to finish the 1/4 before needing 5th

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
it depends on how much boost u intend to run.

Most guys feel that with the 4.10's anything more then 10-12 psi and they run out of gear and have to shift before they reach max boost levels. with 3.73's they have that extra second or so at WOT to put the power to the ground a little longer
For some reason, this doesnt make sense. :confused:

Can you explain it differently so we're on the same page?

·
Premium Member
14,288 Posts
Accoarding to a nice little calc I have, top speed for 4.10 is 173 mph while 3.73 tops @ 191 (both 6K rpm's in 5th gear)

With 4.10's you'd be shifting @ about 118mph into 5th vs 130 for 3.73's giving you the ability to finish the 1/4 before needing 5th
link to calculator please?

For some reason, this doesnt make sense. :confused:

Can you explain it differently so we're on the same page?
ok, say ur racing someone. Ur in 5th gear going 155mph. Ur obviously near redline and are gonna want to shift. But ur not going to have anywhift too.

3.73's top out a lil higher then 4.10s

·
Banned
5,174 Posts
link to calculator please?

ok, say ur racing someone. Ur in 5th gear going 155mph. Ur obviously near redline and are gonna want to shift. But ur not going to have anywhift too.

3.73's top out a lil higher then 4.10s

its a Excel file I donwloaded from here a long time ago... let me check if I can attach it

You need to unzip it.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I'd also imagine it depends on what S/C you're planning on using, some systems make more boost at higher RPMs and others at lower RPMs. The 4.10s will mean you won't be in the low RPMs very long vs 3.73s. This also can play a big role in getting traction. Too much early boost with 4.10s and you'd have a tough time grabbing ground in a hard launch. Though I think suspension upgrades, rubber and other factors may affect that one way or another.

If you read through some of the recent threads here on gears you'll find quite useful posts by people far more knowledgable than I on this issue.

·
Premium Member
14,288 Posts
If you read through some of the recent threads here on gears you'll find quite useful posts by people far more knowledgable than I on this issue.
+1
theres like 10 gear threads a week, if not more.

·
Premium Member
14,288 Posts
ur right, it's the 3550........

·
Registered
92 Posts
totally agree with redfire

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
Since right now I have the 3.31s I would trade em for 3.73s, but if mine was a stick with the 3.55s it wouldn't be worth the money to change to 3.73s because the difference is so small.

·
Banned
5,174 Posts
Since right now I have the 3.31s I would trade em for 3.73s, but if mine was a stick with the 3.55s it wouldn't be worth the money to change to 3.73s because the difference is so small.

I know... I have 3.55's and I don't see any point in changing them... they're good

1 - 18 of 18 Posts