Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Lone wolf in a fox world
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey MM, so what's the big deal about converting from a 4lug wheel to 5??

·
Keep Moving Forward
1,006 Posts
I'm no expert, but the reasons that stick out to me are: it's stronger, and your wheel choice greatly expands.

·
Lone wolf in a fox world
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, so there is no performance advantage?

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
Mostly for the same reason people convert from 28 spline to 31 spline axles, strength. But 4 lug can be strong if the stock studs are replaced with hardened studs

Sent from my LG-AS680 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Strength of the studs can be increased by different studs as F8L said, but it's more of a concern having only 4 lugs with autocross cars and side loads.

·
Watch n learn
876 Posts
True about strength, but to a degree, stock axles will break before the studs will, 4-lug studs are plenty strong, they usually only break if they've been stretched/overtightened. I can't say about autocross, but Saleen and the others used to use 4 lug until '86 I think.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
^^^ which sweet 4 lug wheels you talking about? There isn't much that I know of. Cobra R, old Saleen SC, and the GT500 versions is all I can think of.

Sent from my XT907 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
I like all the ones you mentioned above :) Personally I like the 03 Cobras. You can get nice aftermarket 93 Cobras, Chrome ponies etc. You can get Weld drag lites/stars. Get a staggered fit on any of those they look cool in my opinion. I'm just not into the crazier custom wheel designs. Most Foxes I have seen are running one of the wheels we listed.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Are 4 lugs drum or rotors?

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Best reason to convert is for better wheel choice and cheaper brake upgrades, its as simple as that, period, end of story. If your fine with your brakes and your favorite wheels come in 4 lug, then leave them alone

·
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
249 Posts
When you go 88 mph as you start time travel the four lugs break
That's only on deloreans and anything equipped with a Mr. Fuzion energy converter.

Not sent from a stupid Apple device

·
Watch n learn
876 Posts
^^^ which sweet 4 lug wheels you talking about? There isn't much that I know of. Cobra R, old Saleen SC, and the GT500 versions is all I can think of.

Sent from my XT907 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Lots of good wheel companies offer great wheels in 4-lug, everyone is just so accustomed to "Ford Racing/American Muscle" people think they are the ONLY wheel options out there. There's much more and much better options than stock or reproduction wheels people.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,965 Posts
Ok, so there is no performance advantage?
No. It adds unsprung, reciprocating weight, so it arguably could slow the car down.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts