Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
I LIKE CARS AND SH!T
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
blew out 2nd gear today, Out of all of the 3 mustangs i've owned this is the only trans that's gave me a problem.

What do you guys suggest i do? T45 swap? rebuild the TR3650? or buy this Tremec TR3650 Transmission for Sale

? I'm on a VERY VERY tight budget...considering i'm 17 with a part time job, still in high school and have no money saved up at the moment...

Thanks in advance.

:piss2: TR3650

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Cheapest way to do if, buy a rebuild kit, drop the trans and do it yourself.

Or take your chances with a junk yard 3650 with no guarantees

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
Check out Promotion, they offer a few options for the 3650 at fair prices.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
To answer your question, a T-3650 is rated at a higher torque level than a T-45 and the 2002-2004 T-3650 has a higher overdrive increasing fleet mileage. 2001 was an odd year. Half got Windsor motors, half got Romeo, half got T-45s and half got the early T-3650. For changed to the later model T-3650 around October 2001 which would be the 2002 model year. Other than the overdrive gear ratio I don't know of any other differences between thee 2001 T-3650 and later models.

Ford also changed the oil recommendation mid-year from 5 quarts of 5w30 to 6 quarts of 5w20. I do not know if this change was at the same time as the motor change. I suspect it was but you never know with Ford.

Just curious, which motor do you have Windsor or Romeo?

Reactions: GT500Chick

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
Chances are your problem its a bad blocker ring. For about 100 you can buy a new set of nicker rings and replace them your self.

Sent from my LG-AS680 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
How do you tell which engine you have?
Easiest way to tell is count the number of valve cover bolts. I believe 11 is the windsor motors and 13 is the romeo.

To answer your question, a T-3650 is rated at a higher torque level than a T-45 and the 2002-2004 T-3650 has a higher overdrive increasing fleet mileage. 2001 was an odd year. Half got Windsor motors, half got Romeo, half got T-45s and half got the early T-3650. For changed to the later model T-3650 around October 2001 which would be the 2002 model year. Other than the overdrive gear ratio I don't know of any other differences between thee 2001 T-3650 and later models.

Ford also changed the oil recommendation mid-year from 5 quarts of 5w30 to 6 quarts of 5w20. I do not know if this change was at the same time as the motor change. I suspect it was but you never know with Ford.

Just curious, which motor do you have Windsor or Romeo?
I didn't know about the different year transmissions. I have all sorts of issues with mine that no one else seems to have which I found strange. My sticker says feb 01 so I'm guessing mine is an early model 3650 since mine came with a romeo motor. Wonder if I have the different 5th gear :dunno

To the OP, I think it's just a string of bad luck you're having with these transmissions, I've never heard of someone blowing 2nd once, nevermind 3 times in a row. It usually seems to be a grind into 3rd that's the main issue with the 3650. Listen to F8L, he knows his ****, his is faceplated lol.

Also you're 17 and you've already had 3 mustangs?

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Edit to last post, just realized you said you've only owned 3, not blown 2nd 3 times, my mistake. I tried editing my post but it keeps telling me my message is too short and to make it atleast one letter long...

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
Edit to last post, just realized you said you've only owned 3, not blown 2nd 3 times, my mistake. I tried editing my post but it keeps telling me my message is too short and to make it atleast one letter long...
You were trying to edit in a quote that's why

Sent from my LG-AS680 using AutoGuide App

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Easiest way to tell is count the number of valve cover bolts. I believe 11 is the windsor motors and 13 is the romeo.
It's the other way around 13 Windsor and 11 Romeo. With a build date of Feb 01 odds are you have the earlier T-3650 with .68:1 overdrive.

·
32v Pure Pleasure
290 Posts
I have the complete service manual for the TR3650 in PDF form if you would like me to send it to you PM me very useful and informative

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
My 2 have the 3650 and I love them both. My brothers mach1 has a rebuilt 3650 and he gets locked out of 3rd a lot.... Prob cuz it wasn't rebuilt right.
BTW have fun putting the trans back in. I did it 4 times on 3 of my buddies GT's
last year, they can be a pain to put back in. We had better luck having one of us push the engine back towards the rear of the car and loosened the motor mounts to get the input shaft lined up just right

·
Registered
784 Posts
i personaly have blown alot of trannys more than i care to admit but its how i drive them!

a couple were not my fault just high mileage my e4od went in my truck at 270,000 miles catastrophicly.
86 porsche 944 went through 4 transaxles drag racing and road racing (broken pinions) purely my fault for drag racing '
94 mustang 2nd and 3rd gear syncros on a t5 bought the car with 150,000 and 2nd was starting to go then killed it at a drag strip
04 mach 1 3rd gear is starting to go but i suspect that has more to do with being mostly road coarse mileage plus a ton of burn outs

my fathers 03 mustang convert 3650 is starting to go but he dose alot of towing of a 22ft bow rider boat

so i cant blame my trannys for the most part

·
I LIKE CARS AND SH!T
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not sure what engine i have, according to the previous owner (some stupid kid) the motor was replaced... no paperwork or anything so i don't believe it. I'll check the valve cover bolts when i get out of school. And i replaced the clutch on my black 98, and it had LT's so dropping the trans with stock manifolds on my current 01 won't be a problem at all cause i'm in auto tech class at school, we have 6 lifts and every tool needed. And yes i've had 3 mustangs haha, NO i dont wreck them i simply just wanted something different. I'm really thinking about parking it in my garage and borrowing one of my familys gas efficient cars so i can save up faster to get the new trans... I'm leaning torwards the remanufactured 3650 off smartpartsauto, seems like a good deal considering it has a warranty.

·
Registered
972 Posts
My 3650 must be a lemon. I've had it for 2 years flat 4 shifted it for them 2 years and did a couple 5000-5500 rpm clutch drops at the track with it at 400rwtrq and 517rwtrq. I have yet to have a problem with the actual transmission. The spec clutch is another story...

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
My 2 have the 3650 and I love them both. My brothers mach1 has a rebuilt 3650 and he gets locked out of 3rd a lot.... Prob cuz it wasn't rebuilt right.
BTW have fun putting the trans back in. I did it 4 times on 3 of my buddies GT's
last year, they can be a pain to put back in. We had better luck having one of us push the engine back towards the rear of the car and loosened the motor mounts to get the input shaft lined up just right
Loosen the motor mounts? Ef that ****. Just take a block of wood, and put it on a jack, and slowly jack up the front of the oil pan. That'll tilt the motor bac enough to get the input shaft in pretty easily.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Not sure what engine i have, according to the previous owner (some stupid kid) the motor was replaced... no paperwork or anything so i don't believe it. I'll check the valve cover bolts when i get out of school. And i replaced the clutch on my black 98, and it had LT's so dropping the trans with stock manifolds on my current 01 won't be a problem at all cause i'm in auto tech class at school, we have 6 lifts and every tool needed. And yes i've had 3 mustangs haha, NO i dont wreck them i simply just wanted something different. I'm really thinking about parking it in my garage and borrowing one of my familys gas efficient cars so i can save up faster to get the new trans... I'm leaning torwards the remanufactured 3650 off smartpartsauto, seems like a good deal considering it has a warranty.
if you are in a automechanics class why dont you rebuild it your self and then you will have some experience with rebuilding manual trannys and ps when calling for parts make sure you tell them you are a auto mechanics student and you need parts for a project for class thats how i used to get the best deal on parts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Op i feel your pain. I hate the 3650 it is a pile of **** they dont last long and they are very clunky. I have 5k miles on my new one and it already feels like ****.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Because it is a good transmission well suited for the application--here is some tech info from a 2007 Transmission Digest article (I used to subscribe to such stuff)...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts