Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I'm Ridin A Coyote!!!!!
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At over 90mph my hood looks as if it's gonna fly off, it gets all wavey and squirrly looking. Everything is good and tight, i even checked the bolts where it's connected to the body. The rubber stops at the front/near headlight's are tight against the hood there's NO play in the hood when it's closed.

Is it the hood scoop pulling on the middle of the hood making it look like that?

·
gtscrewd
5,228 Posts
when i had my stock hood it did the same thing i think the fake scoop helps that happen a bit but i dont think its a worry even with my cowl at real high speeds i see a little shake but it has hood pins and a latch..

·
Registered
13,626 Posts

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
yea mine does it too i got to drive my buddies in germany on the autobahn. it gets really shaky at 155

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
You can turn the bumpers/stops or whatever you want to call them so they lift up and create a tighter fit on the hood. Should solve the problem.

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
You can turn the bumpers/stops or whatever you want to call them so they lift up and create a tighter fit on the hood. Should solve the problem.
You can try that, but when I got my bumpstops tight enough to keep it from flapping, the hood gap was raised and it looked like crap.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Maybe my expectations are too high, but how can someone have 4000+
posts on a mustang forum and not know about this? Lol

·
gtscrewd
5,228 Posts
Maybe my expectations are too high, but how can someone have 4000+
posts on a mustang forum and not know about this? Lol
give him a break mabey he never got it that fast lol!

·
Registered
354 Posts
take off the fake scoop and put on CDC shaker hood scoop, problem solved
Not really, the holes from the fake scoop don't line up with cutting the hole for a shaker hood. Just get a new hood.

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
it is the back edge that gets wavy... not really much that can be done about it.. think about it, w/o hood pins it is only the latch in the front center and the two hinges on the corners... nothing really keeps it down... i replaced mine with a 07 takeoff and it is not very heavy and is very flimsy and light... as much drag racing as I have done with it I got used to it... standing still it is fine

·
At the Apex pulling 1.28g
6,578 Posts
Well, Boss has the cause stated. It's air getting under you hood. The fix can be done to either address the cause or address the effect.

To address the effect (hood flutter), add hood pins.

To address the cause (air getting under the hood), fix the front end aero on these cars. Ford in 2010 released a plastic tray that fit from the swaybar/radiator mount to the front of the K-Member which was a huge player in reducing front end lift on the 2010+ cars by some 30%. The rest of the front end aero also plays in:

Get a proper front splitter or at least seal off the under side of the front fascia from the front of the bumper all the way back to the K-Member. This will help keep air from going directly up under the front bumper cover.

Box in the radiator to help keep air coming through the front grill areas going to where it was intended to go. This improves radiator efficiency some but it also keeps air from coming in the front and going around under the bumper. Some simple sheet aluminum painted to whatever color you chose to box in the upper and lower grills will help A LOT.

Put a small skirt on top of the radiator cover that extends out to the edge of the hood. If you look up from the bumper on these cars there is a gap between the hood overhang and the radiator/front fascia. That results in air getting in.

Of course once air gets IN you have to get it OUT. Either a vented hood (see 2013's) to pull that air OUT or raise the back of the hood up so the air can get out that way (I'm not sure if that will work for our cars).

If you only address the effect, you will still get the front end to feel floaty at higher speeds. It's not a feeling I like but because I'm not doing any roadcourse work yet it isn't a priority for me to take care of. It WILL be when I do start doing roadcourse stuff because it makes me uneasy just passing someone. At a minimum look into the 2010+ undertrays. Last I checked they where like $110 from Tousley Ford but you could just as easily make your own.

·
I'm Ridin A Coyote!!!!!
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, Boss has the cause stated. It's air getting under you hood. The fix can be done to either address the cause or address the effect.

To address the effect (hood flutter), add hood pins.

To address the cause (air getting under the hood), fix the front end aero on these cars. Ford in 2010 released a plastic tray that fit from the swaybar/radiator mount to the front of the K-Member which was a huge player in reducing front end lift on the 2010+ cars by some 30%. The rest of the front end aero also plays in:

Get a proper front splitter or at least seal off the under side of the front fascia from the front of the bumper all the way back to the K-Member. This will help keep air from going directly up under the front bumper cover.

Box in the radiator to help keep air coming through the front grill areas going to where it was intended to go. This improves radiator efficiency some but it also keeps air from coming in the front and going around under the bumper. Some simple sheet aluminum painted to whatever color you chose to box in the upper and lower grills will help A LOT.

Put a small skirt on top of the radiator cover that extends out to the edge of the hood. If you look up from the bumper on these cars there is a gap between the hood overhang and the radiator/front fascia. That results in air getting in.

Of course once air gets IN you have to get it OUT. Either a vented hood (see 2013's) to pull that air OUT or raise the back of the hood up so the air can get out that way (I'm not sure if that will work for our cars).

If you only address the effect, you will still get the front end to feel floaty at higher speeds. It's not a feeling I like but because I'm not doing any roadcourse work yet it isn't a priority for me to take care of. It WILL be when I do start doing roadcourse stuff because it makes me uneasy just passing someone. At a minimum look into the 2010+ undertrays. Last I checked they where like $110 from Tousley Ford but you could just as easily make your own.
Great info there, thanks man. :drink

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
Don't we all have that plastic piece under the front of our cars. I have one. Well used to have one. Actually still have it, just not on the car.

·
At the Apex pulling 1.28g
6,578 Posts
Don't we all have that plastic piece under the front of our cars. I have one. Well used to have one. Actually still have it, just not on the car.
I don't have anything between my radiator support and the K-Member but I do from the radiator support FORWARD to the front edge of the bumper but there are still two huge gaps from the front edge of the wheel wells to the edge of the bumper as the plastic thing between the radiator support and the bumper goes straight out and doesn't cover the two "corners".

You can kind of see what I'm talking about in that photo.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts