Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Raging Mad Motherfucker
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking around at making some N/A HP with the 4.0 and i haven't seen one person that makes over 225rwhp. What makes this engine suck?

SSM's S3 heads with 1.9/1.6 valves only flow 236/170 and seem to me limited to about .480 lift.

It's a got a lot going for it with OHC design, larger bore for a V6, and a larger(ish) displacement.

What gives?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yup, different story with the Australian dohc 4.0 though.

·
crippled Vet
15 Posts
dont know who you have been looking at it is fairly easy to hit 225+. i mean HP to wheels we are only getting like 175-185 hp so in order to hit over 225 cai+ tuner, exhaust and then get dyno'd proffessional tune and i can almost gaurentee you will hit 250+. just having a handheld tuner wont give you the power gains after those upgrades compared to getting dyno'd proff tune. once i supercharge and do the necessaties i plan on hitting 350+. Im retiring from the military medically shortly and will be moving back to CA. but after that ill be starting a Supercharge or big turbo build and ill have videos put up as i start the build. and ill post dyno's after every few upgrades or so to show you what you gain from certain parts

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
Well these engines aren't exactly on the cutting edge of technology. The SSM stage 2+ doesn't give huge peak gains, it increases the overall powercurve by quite a bit. Flattens it out

·
hi you can call me mater
4,845 Posts
dont know who you have been looking at it is fairly easy to hit 225+. i mean HP to wheels we are only getting like 175-185 hp so in order to hit over 225 cai+ tuner, exhaust and then get dyno'd proffessional tune and i can almost gaurentee you will hit 250+. just having a handheld tuner wont give you the power gains after those upgrades compared to getting dyno'd proff tune. once i supercharge and do the necessaties i plan on hitting 350+. Im retiring from the military medically shortly and will be moving back to CA. but after that ill be starting a Supercharge or big turbo build and ill have videos put up as i start the build. and ill post dyno's after every few upgrades or so to show you what you gain from certain parts
You're not gonna get 40hp from a cai+ tuner
:facepalm

03cristian

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
It's a got a lot going for it with OHC design, larger bore for a V6, and a larger(ish) displacement.

What gives?
What gives is there's a very tiny market for 4.0L performance parts, being that it's the base engine. They figure the people who want performance and can afford it bought the higher-performing engine. It's simply not financially viable to sink $50k into developing and producing Stage 87 heads that maybe 100 people will actually buy.

Yup, different story with the Australian dohc 4.0 though.
Well, yeah. That 4.0L inline-6 was sold with a turbo in one of the high-performance Falcons.

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
Wow that thing got just a little warm.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The 4.0SOHC responds well to FI so if you want some serious gains that is about the only real option.

The Australian motor is a straight six. They will not put them in US cars because they tend to go through the passenger compartment when in a crash where the V6 tends to roll under.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts