Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After posting some pics of my car a lot of people mentioned the first mod I do should be an aftermarket shifter. I havent driven many manual cars before, and NONE within the last 2 years so I cant remember how they really felt shifting.

why get an aftermarket shifter over the stock?

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
Shift stops (if they aren't internally built into the tranny). A T-45 Tranny should have a short throw shifter on it. No excuses. It should be the first thing. A 3650 doesn't need one, but it's still recommended for a "shorter, more comfortable throw".

HTH

·
Registered
923 Posts
also for dead space in the shifter, aka wiggle

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
I love my hurst. It is very notchy, has no play in the gears, it isn't a short throw though, but still doesnt mean you can't shift fast. You def have to get used to it.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
:withhomo on hurst

·
Premium Member
33,198 Posts
as lefty said, short throw shifters are better than stock because you don't have to push/pull as far to get into gear, which equals faster shifting

and also, like he said, if you have a T45, you need the shift stops

·
Forever in our hearts travis_afx
4,391 Posts
Go find a Mustang with a MGW short throw and compare it too yours. Than report back here and let us know which shifter you ordered within 30 minutes of testing. It's a must have mod in my opinion. Just makes the car that much more fun to drive, and manuals are ment to be fun.

·
Registered
627 Posts
The stock shifters feel very sloppy and an aftermarket one will fix that. I'm with rk on the MGW, best short throw I've owned. I'm not sure what year your car is, but if it has a T-56 it is a must have.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
awesome guys. thanks for the quick responses! the problem is, I know of NO ONE around here that has an aftermarket, so I have no idea on which brands are really ones I should be looking at. The only shifter i can can try out is my brothers hurst shifter if he lets me drive his 05 GT, but I wont see that till at LEAST december, if not after.

what are some brands that have the rep I should be looking at?

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
I have an MGW and I wouldn't go with any other piece.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I has mgm as well.
Like the MGM Grand in Vegas?

:shiftyeyes

Go find a Mustang with a MGW short throw and compare it too yours. Then report back here and let us know which shifter you ordered within 30 minutes of testing. It's a must have mod in my opinion. Just makes the car that much more fun to drive, and manuals are meant to be fun.
+1 on this!

·
It's in the details Mod!
11,051 Posts
I have a B&M in mine. My biggest bitch about it is no user adjustablity. I am considering a new one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts