Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I Have A FLATULENT Butthole.
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i've had my hood off the past few days because its getting repainted. I just ran up to advanced to get some engine bay cleaning supplies and when i got home I got out of my car with the engine running and noticed a really high pitched whining noise. I tracked it down and it's coming from my fuel rail on the drivers side up near the first spark plug (towards the front of the car). If I push on it, it gets quieter but its still there. I came inside to upload the picture then went back outside and my engine had warmed up and the whine was gone. Does anyone know why it would be doing this????

Here's a picture of it:

It's the little orange thing that the black thing plugs in to. If I push down on the fuel rail right above it, it gets quieter.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
that orange thing is your injector... it could be dirty/going bad which could possibly cause a wine

·
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that orange thing is your injector... it could be dirty/going bad which could possibly cause a wine
Can injectors be tested for being bad/good?

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Can injectors be tested for being bad/good?
im sure there are ways to test their flow rate, but none I can really think of that you would be able to do in your driveway. You could possibly take it out and visually inspect it for dirt/damage.

Also, you could switch it with an injector on the other side of the motor and see if the wine moves to the other side. if so, bam, bad injector. If it stays in the same spot, it is something else.

·
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's involved with replacing an injector? Just shut off the fuel pressure then get it out (Not sure how the come out)

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
to remove the pressure you will have to bleed the pressure that is built up by the pump (there should be a value on top of one of your rails you can press with a screw-driver to let out the rail pressure*)

no need to shut off anything really. you can remove the battery if you want to be real safe (BEFORE you start squirting fuel everywhere though haha)

As far as replacing them, its easy. Pretty much the injector will just sit there when you take the rail off the top (or the top wil be stuck in the rail itself). Either way, just pull it will a small amount of force and it comes right off. just replace and reverse the process to put back on.

*put a towel down between the valve and the screwdriver so it absorbs all the gas (and not your face). Eye protection optional :)

Reactions: (Kohrs93)

·
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks :) Are injectors something that need to be replaced every xx,xxx miles? Or just when they go bad? Are there certain brands that are better than others or should i just get oem

Oh, I left you a special present ;)

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Ok thanks :) Are injectors something that need to be replaced every xx,xxx miles? Or just when they go bad? Are there certain brands that are better than others or should i just get oem

Oh, I left you a special present ;)
Fuel injectors definitely are not a maintainence item. Though usually if the injector was going bad, either dumping too much or too little fuel, doesn't that typically throw a rich/lean code on that side? Any check engine lights?

Also for the most part there is nothing wrong with OEM. Sometimes guys go to upgraded aftermarket brands, but that's generally in the realm of high hp turbo cars. You'd be fine with an OEM, or even a used one, they don't go bad that often. Just make sure it's the correct rating and matched to your current injectors.

·
Registered
376 Posts
When im at about 55 in 5th gear and hit the accelarater the car shakes-could my fuel injectors be bad? I've replaced the spark plugs, bad coil overs, and fuel filter which all helped and did their part but I was wondering about the injectors?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts