Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I am new to the forum but have been lurking around awhile.

I have a very stock and very clean 1989 LX 5.0 Vert with 76,000 miles. Unfortunately its an AOD I really would prefer a 5 speed but I do not want to convert. To this point I put some 3.73 gears in her with w shift kit which woke her up but I still consider her a dog. She has 183 RWHP at this time. I want to leave the block, pistons, crank etc...alone. I am open to new cam, heads, intake, throttle body, headers but I want to do this all for around 5 grand if possible. Have the ability to do the work myself and may have to. Finding the time and place to do the work is the problem. I took her to a local speed shop where they dynoed her and have her a once over and a super clean bill of health.

There is a TON of information on here on what people have done to their 5.0 motors to improve performance. I don't want to reinvent the wheel. I am sure their are many of you guys who are creating 350-400 rear wheel horsepower. My question is what set up are you using to do so? I am not interested in a blower or turbo at this time. I want to do this naturally aspirated with the option of going with a blower in the future. I want a nice strong running high 11 to 12 second car that has a nice lopey idle but is a smooth everyday driver.

Any input appreciated.

Joe

·
Exhaust fume addict
1,526 Posts
350rwhp is very tough on 302ci n/a. Maybe it can be done but 320rwhp is a lot easier then throw a 100 shot at it. Anyway here is how I would spend the 5g

Trick flow 170 track heat heads 58cc $1100
Custom cam $350
Holley systemax $600
Mac 1 3/4 long tubes and mid pipe $600
75mm throttle body $200
80mm MAF $300
Roller rockers $250
Injectors and pump $400
And about $1000 left for torque convertor and suspension mods

Should be good for 310+ rwhp and 12's easy
These are all new prices, try to find used and save some cash

·
Registered
1,137 Posts

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,965 Posts
5k is a huge budget, the prvious post outlined it pretty well. Make sure you get a good converter. Shoot for 275 rwhp with an aod with a converter, it will eat a lot of power.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts