Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I'm really sorry if I'm getting annoying asking all these questions. I just feel like I don't have enough information and I want to get everything done right.

Now I'm getting a wideband gauge for my car. And need to know where exactly to put it.
I have never seen this setup in my life. So I'm really lost.
The driver side manifold goes straight back (I think) and splits into a y and then the mufflers and 2 tips. The passenger manifold turns the OPPOSITE way and Feeds into the turbo send what not.
So where exactly do I need to mount that wideband o2 sensor at? And I guess since I'm asking, where can I put a catalytic converter to pass emissions?

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Hard to say precisely where without seeing the pipe routing. If it's a single turbo I'm going to guess there's up pipes from both the driver and passenger banks going forward to a merge pipe, the turbo, then a downpipe, and eventually back to a Y pipe and mufflers.

Now for wideband installation, manufacturer recommendations usually dictate:
-Must be located post-turbo, in the downpipe. Oxygen sensors typically do not like the higher temperature/pressure of pre-turbo and will fail in short order.
-Must be oriented within +/- 80 deg of vertical, tip facing downward. This allows any condensation that builds up to run downward off the tip. Otherwise if it's horizontal or facing up, it will fail from water intrusion.
-Do not locate it in a bend. You want it in a fairly long, straight section. 2-14" from the turbo outlet is optimal.
-Install the threaded boss such that the sensor tip is fully immersed in the exhaust flow.
-Try not to exceed 300 deg F for the sensor body/wiring harness. Ex. don't have it pointing at another exhaust pipe/manifold.

For the catalyst you want it as close to the turbo outlet as possible. Otherwise you lose heat and it becomes less effective. The catalyst should be as close to the outlet as possible, but several inches after the wideband sensor.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hard to say precisely where without seeing the pipe routing. If it's a single turbo I'm going to guess there's up pipes from both the driver and passenger banks going forward to a merge pipe, the turbo, then a downpipe, and eventually back to a Y pipe and mufflers.

Now for wideband installation, manufacturer recommendations usually dictate:
-Must be located post-turbo, in the downpipe. Oxygen sensors typically do not like the higher temperature/pressure of pre-turbo and will fail in short order.
-Must be oriented within +/- 80 deg of vertical, tip facing downward. This allows any condensation that builds up to run downward off the tip. Otherwise if it's horizontal or facing up, it will fail from water intrusion.
-Do not locate it in a bend. You want it in a fairly long, straight section. 2-14" from the turbo outlet is optimal.
-Install the threaded boss such that the sensor tip is fully immersed in the exhaust flow.
-Try not to exceed 300 deg F for the sensor body/wiring harness. Ex. don't have it pointing at another exhaust pipe/manifold.

For the catalyst you want it as close to the turbo outlet as possible. Otherwise you lose heat and it becomes less effective. The catalyst should be as close to the outlet as possible, but several inches after the wideband sensor.
That sounds exactly right now you described it. There's just one single pipe going back and splitting into a y pipe. There are no catalytic converters on the car either . It's a 3 inch exhaust pipe all the way back. So basically just pick a spot and weld it in? And what's the catalyst?

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
So basically just pick a spot and weld it in?
Pretty much. Keep it as close to the turbo outlet as possible, and after the wideband.

Also keep in mind catalysts can get very hot, so you'll want to pick an area that can deal with it, or install heat shielding.

And what's the catalyst?
Catalyst = catalytic converter

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So basically just pick a spot and weld it in?
Pretty much. Keep it as close to the turbo outlet as possible, and after the wideband.

Also keep in mind catalysts can get very hot, so you'll want to pick an area that can deal with it, or install heat shielding.

And what's the catalyst?
Catalyst = catalytic converter
What do you mean after the wideband ?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay I see what happened. When i said "so just pick a spot and weld it in?" I meant the wideband sensor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts