Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might get moved to poweradders...not sure but anyway. Should i run a wideband with my nitrous or is it a little overkill? anyone running nitrous without a wideband? comments thoughts? thanks guys.

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya 350.00 for a wideband WTF?. dunno if its worth it

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
i would... dont want to go lean sprayin... things like to go POP.

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya but i got so much safety junk.....FPSS window switch WOT switch....plus i know im jetted for my fuel pressure plus a nitrous tune....

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bacardi and cola....DO IT!

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah what the christ...ill order it

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
By the time you realize your lean on the wideband the damage will have been done. If your running the spray correctly, you've got a shut off in for fuel pressure fall off. That said it's really the only thing that can go wrong, once the car is tuned, it's tuned. It doesn't fluctuate, so the only way your going to blow anything up is via what your already protected for, low fuel pressure.

Some poeple want all these gauges in their car, but there's no chance in hell you can watch everything. Heck most people have gauges and watch none of them. They are what one would call conversation pieces.

I personally am all over 4 gauges - fuel pressure, oil pressure, water temp, and boost. With A/F ratio set in the tune, it's a waste for me to run a wide band, it will not move unless you have a failure, and by the time you get out of it due to a reading on the wideband, the damage will have been done.. You may be able to cause less damage, but no less damage than someone paying attention to their regular gauges.

This is one of those deals where they are key for tuning, and then you can basically put it away. Better off data logging a pull from a hand held or laptop anyway..

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
By the time you realize your lean on the wideband the damage will have been done. If your running the spray correctly, you've got a shut off in for fuel pressure fall off. That said it's really the only thing that can go wrong, once the car is tuned, it's tuned. It doesn't fluctuate, so the only way your going to blow anything up is via what your already protected for, low fuel pressure.

Some poeple want all these gauges in their car, but there's no chance in hell you can watch everything. Heck most people have gauges and watch none of them. They are what one would call conversation pieces.

I personally am all over 4 gauges - fuel pressure, oil pressure, water temp, and boost. With A/F ratio set in the tune, it's a waste for me to run a wide band, it will not move unless you have a failure, and by the time you get out of it due to a reading on the wideband, the damage will have been done.. You may be able to cause less damage, but no less damage than someone paying attention to their regular gauges.

This is one of those deals where they are key for tuning, and then you can basically put it away. Better off data logging a pull from a hand held or laptop anyway..
i mean using a wideband as a tuning tool not a safety precaution. when i use a wideband, i'm looking for a baseline. and to that point i add/decrease fuel/timing.

and given what you've said about everyones obsession with guages.. ill second that.. i believe you need nothing more than a ACCURATE tach, fuel press, oil press, temp, and trans temp. obviously boost and perhaps egt for fi guys.

·
Your Mom's Favorite
2,452 Posts
I personally feel better running a wideband, it clued me in to a vaccuum leak that was throwing it a little lean under part throttle load. To each their own, I agree some guys will only use them because they look cool, but I have found mine quite useful.

·
Skirt Chasing Philanderer
14,391 Posts
I will admit I am one of those guage queens, I have autmeter c2 proshift, air/fuel, & boost on my pillar ( and they look damn good with the top down ). And working on getting fuel pressure wired into the cupholder ( if I ever get around to order the SOS cupholder pod... ). I like the way the guages look, but I have them there for the right reasons... I agree with Emay on the A/F guage to an extent. I do believe there are times where they come in handy ( IE, on my 91 when I kept blowing hoses off at WOT ) it didnt create a dangerously lean situation but it definitally leaned it out a little bit.

·
Your Mom's Favorite
2,452 Posts
Yeah, I wasn't lean to the point of detonation, but the A/F did start to creep into the 16s at approx. 60-80% WOT, which got me under the hood where I needed to be to find and fix the problem.

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well i just made some pulls with the nitrous...without the wideband. 75 shot went great...then i jetted to 100...first two pulls were good then on the third it fell on its face at 4000 rpm. then the engine light came on...went to the tuner and found PO307 - cylinder 7 misfire...the bottle was at 700 psi...did i overload the fuel from too low pressure in the bottle?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts