Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple months ago, my wife traded in my 2010 V6 for a 2011 V6. It was her surprise for my mid tour leave from overseas. Already have some plans for it, but was wondering if anyone has had any success with the MMR pistons/rods?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't personally but they look like quality gear. What are your goals with the car? I'd say it would be one of my later purchases, not first. Drop some 3.73 gears (you'll need a tuner too) in along with lower control arms. It costs about $1k for all three parts including labor. After that everything else are performance enhancement mods unless you go FI.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nah, she's not. I'm keeping this car forever. She gets the next new car. Im not looking at getting a new rotating assembly right off the bat. First purchases are new intake and exhaust. Next will be tune and gears. My goal is to slowly work up till I have to make the decision on supercharger or turbo. That won't be till after the warranty is expired and the car is paid off and she has her new one lol. THATS when I will need to get the forged internals. Was just doing some pre-inquiring about any luck anyone has had with them. :D

·
Registered
283 Posts
Nah, she's not. I'm keeping this car forever. She gets the next new car. Im not looking at getting a new rotating assembly right off the bat. First purchases are new intake and exhaust. Next will be tune and gears. My goal is to slowly work up till I have to make the decision on supercharger or turbo. That won't be till after the warranty is expired and the car is paid off and she has her new one lol. THATS when I will need to get the forged internals. Was just doing some pre-inquiring about any luck anyone has had with them. :D
I'll do ya one better - I'm gonna get a 2010 V6, rip out the drivetrain, computer crap, and wiring harness, and go old school with a dual-point dual-quad stroker small block (with a forged bottom end, of course) - no electronics no catalytic converters, and no air bags, no creature comforts. Power isn't the ultimate goal - it's what I refer to as "the call of the wild". :)

·
I love to skydive
17,286 Posts
Except for the face that you can't register the car if you do that, what a great idea.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
5,519 Posts
I'll do ya one better - I'm gonna get a 2010 V6, rip out the drivetrain, computer crap, and wiring harness, and go old school with a dual-point dual-quad stroker small block (with a forged bottom end, of course) - no electronics no catalytic converters, and no air bags, no creature comforts. Power isn't the ultimate goal - it's what I refer to as "the call of the wild". :)
Points??? Really?

Sent from my XT907 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok... so... that was slightly less helpful than I had hoped for...

·
The Aviator
6,305 Posts
Ok... so... that was slightly less helpful than I had hoped for...
jsimmonstx has a tendency to do that.

Anyway, those forged internals just hit the market, and I believe there's only 1 (known) guy putting them in. He's in the process of getting his car tuned at the moment for twin turbos.

I wouldn't worry about forged stuff up until you're close to buying (which sounds like it'll be quite some time) as new things (or current things) might change. We have a fairly small market at the moment, for forged internals.

Our cars can handle 400WHP without going forged.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, its gonna be a few years before those are really even thought about going in. Was just trying to see if those are the ONLY ones out there and if they were even worth pursuing in the years to come.

For now I plan on doing the normal stuff and seeing where it goes. I come home from overseas in Feb, so I should have some money to play with at that point... pending the wife lets me lol.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Points??? Really?

I ran dual points "back in the day", and never had a problem. This weekend, a friend of mine told me about Pertronix - they make a points-replacement module that bolts into OEM distributors, and they also make billet distributors. I'm reconsidering that part of my plan.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey hey, no female like complaining here. Just looking for some help with my motor lol. I get enough of the female complaining from my wife.

·
The Aviator
6,305 Posts
Yeah, its gonna be a few years before those are really even thought about going in. Was just trying to see if those are the ONLY ones out there and if they were even worth pursuing in the years to come.

For now I plan on doing the normal stuff and seeing where it goes. I come home from overseas in Feb, so I should have some money to play with at that point... pending the wife lets me lol.
I'd say they are a good option, just not practical until you are ready to go above and beyond 8.5PSI on your motor. :naughty:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, that will be about 5 years and 7 months from now (once the car is paid off :lol)

·
Registered
68 Posts
There's a reason why Ford doesn't offer the 3.7 with 3.73 gears. You wouldn't spend $8-10k extra on a car that doesn't go any faster and gets worse fuel economy. Granted a 3.73 geared 5.0 turns in mid to upper 12s but the 5.0 automatic does not. Neither does the convertible 5.0.

·
Premium Member
5,519 Posts
There's a reason why Ford doesn't offer the 3.7 with 3.73 gears. You wouldn't spend $8-10k extra on a car that doesn't go any faster and gets worse fuel economy. Granted a 3.73 geared 5.0 turns in mid to upper 12s but the 5.0 automatic does not. Neither does the convertible 5.0.
Huh? Gears cost an extra $8k?

What do you mean by "faster"? Changing gears can make you change top end speed (faster or slower). Usually the car guys change gears for getting quicker.

Ya, selling a factory v6 sports car would be hard sell with 3.73s , but doesn't necessarily mean its a bad idea. Anyone ever owned a jeep wrangler would agree with that.

And ya, a near bone stock 5.0 auto can get in the twelves. Without slicks, without nitrous, just exhaust intake and good driving.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts