Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently run stock H with the factory cats and pypes muffler deletes.

Friday I’m installing pypes high flow cats and replacing the muffler deletes with mac boom tubes.

I know the high flow cats are a tad louder than factory cats and I assume the boom tubes will be a tad quieter than the deletes since there is some baffling in there.

Question is… will I be louder, quieter, same volume after Friday?

I’m also replacing the stock manifolds with a set of hand-me-down BBK shorties once I can get my hands on some new collector studs to replace the used ones. This should bump the volume up just a minor tad I assume, but nothing crazy.

Overall I want to refine the sound a little (hence switching to the boom tubes) and wouldn’t mind being a tad louder. Am I correct to assume that the volume increase of switching from stock cats to high flow cats will outweigh the volume reduction going from muffler deletes to boom tubes? Am I also correct to assume that the shorties over stock manifolds may produce a slight (even if barely noticeable) increase in volume in addition to a slight deepening in tone?

·
Registered
961 Posts
just throw an o/r h on there. for the money you're spending on replacing cats, you'll be disapointed.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just throw an o/r h on there. for the money you're spending on replacing cats, you'll be disapointed.
I would if I was running a chambered axleback, but it'll be too loud and unrefined in my opinion to run catless AND without mufflers. I don't want to sound like I'm running the 1/4 mile everytime I slowly pull into traffic lol. Plus I already purchased the high flow cats cause the pypes trailer was at a swap meet I was at this weekend. I'm also gonna need some backpressure from somewhere.

I'm set on what setup I'm gonna run just curious what people people think the net effect on volume will be?

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
the shorties won't do anything for you other than look prettier than the stock manifolds. best thing they are good for is turbo setups because they can't use LT's. doubt also that the high flow cats will make any major difference since you are adding the boom tubes, but who knows maybe.

·
MM's Resident Muffler Shop
3,048 Posts
I would if I was running a chambered axleback, but it'll be too loud and unrefined in my opinion to run catless AND without mufflers. I don't want to sound like I'm running the 1/4 mile everytime I slowly pull into traffic lol. Plus I already purchased the high flow cats cause the pypes trailer was at a swap meet I was at this weekend. I'm also gonna need some backpressure from somewhere.

I'm set on what setup I'm gonna run just curious what people people think the net effect on volume will be?
Believe me, you won't even come close to sounding like that. My vote is you'll stay the same. You MIGHT get a little volume with the high flow cats, but I don't think much.

If you want to know what it sounds like to run catless with these check out my video clips.... they're around here somewhere

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Believe me, you won't even come close to sounding like that.
I know that I won't with this setup. I was saying I might feel like that if I ran an o/r pipe AND no mufflers.

And yeah TRUST ME, I know, I know, I know, about the shorties doing nothing. I was given a nice looking used set of ceramic coated bbk shorties for free and like messing around under the car. If they weren't free I would have just left the stock manifolds on.

And my intent with this setup is NOT to get louder. I'll take same volume as my current setup (stock manifolds, stock H, pypes muffler deletes) or a "slight" increase in volume. Just didn't want to lose any volume (bought the high flow cats to offset the sound deadening of the baffles in the boom tubes) and I don't want to be "a lot" louder than my current setup (why I don't want to go o/r H with the boom tubes).

My intent on switching to this setup was is A) I wanted something a little more refined but not too drastically different than the pypes muffler deletes. B) wanted to stay either the same volume or a hair louder, C) To stay emissions legal.

Thanks

·
MM's Resident Muffler Shop
3,048 Posts
You aren't going to loose much from the baffles. They only change the tone. I would atleast swap in a X pipe. It'll sound a lot better.

My initial setup was stock manifold, FRPP cut in X & the boomtubes and it sounded great.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
the only way to really know if its louder or not is to use a db meter.
just saying its louder isn't really an accurate method.
its like not running your car on a dyno and saying, "yup, its got more power."
but nobody really tests it with a db meter, except me. :D
i think it will be around the same db level, but the sound will be a little more refined from the boomtubes.
i had both boomtubes and deletes, and the boomtubes were much more pleasant sounding.
i couldn't stand the deletes for more than a few hours, had to take them off.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You aren't going to loose much from the baffles. They only change the tone. I would atleast swap in a X pipe. It'll sound a lot better.

My initial setup was stock manifold, FRPP cut in X & the boomtubes and it sounded great.
I like the deeper muscle car sound of the H over the more raspy X. I have an o/r x that I could weld the high flow cats into but I picked up a used o/r h for $50 cause I think it'll give me a deeper, mellower tone.

the only way to really know if its louder or not is to use a db meter.
just saying its louder isn't really an accurate method.
its like not running your car on a dyno and saying, "yup, its got more power."
but nobody really tests it with a db meter, except me. :D
i think it will be around the same db level, but the sound will be a little more refined from the boomtubes.
i had both boomtubes and deletes, and the boomtubes were much more pleasant sounding.
i couldn't stand the deletes for more than a few hours, had to take them off.
Thanks, that's what I'm going for. I just want to refine the sound without bottling it up either. Did you notice that the boom tubes were noticeably quieter than the deletes?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
yes the boomtubes were quieter, but only by about 5 db.
i think it was the popping and garbage truck sound it had that made it seem like it was a lot louder.
i changed from LT's, o/r x pipe, boomtubes to LT's, o/r x pipe, MBRP deletes.
I then added M80's before the rear end bc i didn't like the sound.
with cats it will probly not have the garbage truck sound like with the o/r x pipe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts