Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I recently purchased an 01 automatic GT and I like it so far. But it definitely needs more power.

I recently changed the valve cover gaskets, and I figured since I don't have anything better to do at the moment, I'd change the cam shafts as well. I'm looking at stage 4 XE274H cams from Comp Cam. I'm of course going full bolt on as well. I have the stock 4 speed auto, and they reccomend a 2000rpm stall. Is there danger in running these cams with the stock trans? Or should I go ahead and install, upgrading the trans later?

I'm expecting to make 330Hp+

·
Registered
786 Posts
If you want more go with an auto,
Get a GOOD brand 4000 rpm stall and atleast 4.10 gears.
I run the Circle D 9 inch 4000-4200 stall. Hands down the best bang for a buck on an auto mustang, yes, more noticeable than gears IMO.
Do a j-mod on trans while it is out, and add a decent auxiliary trans cooler.

If you wanna go the cam route I would do a cms stage 1 or the comp stage 1, unless you plan on going all out with headers, off road pipes heads ect....keep in mind after stage 1 most cams require valves springs and the gains are minimal with the stock ported heads/comp.
With cams it may be necessary to turn off EGR as at cruising you may get more reversion and have a slight stumble, I would suggest the comp stage one as it has a wider lobe separation of you want better idle/driveability.

Or You can get some trickflow cam gears and set you stock cams to 110 intake center line and that will give you a nice boost. You will need em anyway if you get cams in order to time them correctly.
I did that before installing my CMS cams and it was about half as noticeable as the actual performance cams.
You will also need to get a decent engine calibration, Brenspeed did mine (mail order)and I'm very happy with it.
If I knew then what I know now I would have done the 4000 stall, 4.30 gears, Mickey Thompson et street tires ,advanced the stock cams, Tune and a catted midpipe because I hate stinky cars and been done.

Reactions: PDHSB

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
At that power level your transmission will be perfect fine.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,961 Posts
Car will struggle to idle in gear with cams. It will need a converter to allow good drivability.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts