Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Tuning Junkie
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I managed to break an exhaust valve on cylinder # 6 trying to make the wrong crank gear work installing cams. Would you recommend:

1. Just buying a new valve/gaskets and fixing that head, my engine is tore down already in the car ? OR

2. Buying a set of salvage PI heads and not worry about what else might be wrong with the broken valve head ?

Im guessing that the valve and the machine work may not be that much cheaper than a set of working salvage heads (not sure what salvage PI heads would go for).

Would you guys have a shop make sure the new valve seats correctly ? or is that not necessary.

Thanks for your help or advise ! Its much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
Absolutely yes

If you do not seat the valve it will not seal correctly and then youll possibly be having misfire issues and other issues. its a very simple procedure and can be done in a couple minutes. All your doing is making sure the two surfaces are prefectly in sync together.

·
Tuning Junkie
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Absolutely yes

If you do not seat the valve it will not seal correctly and then youll possibly be having misfire issues and other issues. its a very simple procedure and can be done in a couple minutes. All your doing is making sure the two surfaces are prefectly in sync together.
Thanks, Im going to start looking into the valve seating process. If I can do it myself that is good.

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
Thanks, Im going to start looking into the valve seating process. If I can do it myself that is good.

You can get some valve seating compound at most parts stores and for one valve you should be able to get away with using a drill.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts