Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heres the deal guys, i blew the rod that goes into the oil pump, so i yanked out the motor about a year and a half ago. unfortunatley i havent got to getting the part. now i have the part, should i put it in or should i get a new motor. i dont know if it will start cuz it has sat for so long. i have had all the openings covered with tape and a tarp, except the bottom where i had the oil pan off. now i dont know if i should go through the trouble of putting the whole thing in for nothing or not. thanks guys!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Would depend on several things. How long did it run after the oil pump drive "broke" (no oil pressure) If not long, say less than 30 seconds, pull a main cap and check the bearings. If it looks fine (plenty of sites on line that show examples of bearing wear / failure) then I might chance it. If it ran any length of time at all, time for a rebuild. As far as sitting around opened up. If it was in a dry clean place, most likely no big deal. Side note, always cover up an engine when you remove any part or accessory that allows a direct opening into the internal areas of an engine. Dirt, grit, grime, citters, all bad.:eek:

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea it only ran for 30 secondsor so , i didnt hear any pings or knocks or anything out of the ordinary. i think what happend was when the last guy had it he blew the same part, and when i did it, i found all the pieces to that shaft, except an extra piece, so i think that he blew it and left a little piece in there, and when i gave it a litlle, or should i say a lot of gas hahaha it must have threw that piece around to break the other one.

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
I would say look into "refreshing" your motor... do the simple odds and ins and make it run like new, OR yank it and put in a nicer motor... of course budget and commitment are going to be the judges here

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
You wouldn't hear pings and knocks within enough time if major damage was about to occur. All you would hear is the motor running, then all of a sudden you hear dead silence(SEIZEED MOTOR).

Although you get that clattering noise with you have low oil pressure but no oil, kiss kiis, tiss tiss. Just check your beaings like the other guy said and if all looks well, see if you can turn it over by using a torqwue wrench. If you can, put that bad boy back together making sure to pre-oil before your intial start.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
hell while its out u might as well rebuild it...why would u want to spend all that time to put it in on chance... rebuild it and have peice of mind..

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
I would be the idiot not to think of that first... F it, just take the bore .40 over and get some good pistons and a new meling pump. install at find your nearest ricer at tell him you have a 6 cyl, bet him $200 bucks, stomp him, get your money and take your wifey out.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
alot,.. very labor intensive job,reflecting on cost... since you have the motor out just rebuild it yourself. a shop quoted me a minimum $1700 for a top end rebuild... i said mother **** that,.. and opted to do it myself

1 - 11 of 11 Posts