Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have been thinking about this for about a year now ... i have a 6cyl mustang and i want the v8 bad but i just cant part with it cuz i mean i am attached so i went out and bought a 88' ford pickup 5.0 efi.... now then i dk how to put that efi or hook it up to that of my 95 mustang that i own but anyway what i am getting at i want to make that 88 5.0 carburated and also i wanna throw in a cam but i dk what the lift is on those valves anyone know ? and also could i run a e303 cam in it with out having some clearance problems ? ? well any help would be very helpful ..... oh and also what kinda power would that make i mean with a good exhaust and all , i am hoping for around 300 but idk anyway thanks everyone ....

·
Banned
3,784 Posts
a 5.0 with an e303 and exhaust is not going to make anywhere near 300. You will want better valve springs with ANY cam upgrade. Drop the idea of an e303 and get a TFS stage 1. To get closer to 300 hp, you will want to do heads and intake.

i dont know much about the rest of the swap but i am sure somebody else will chime in.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok tfs is trick flow right and i am going with carburated will that all work ? and valves are pricey arn't they ? and sorry to say i dont want to do heads to much of a pain and alot of money

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
ok tfs is trick flow right and i am going with carburated will that all work ? and valves are pricey arn't they ? and sorry to say i dont want to do heads to much of a pain and alot of money
man heads are not a pain,they're just expensive and yes tfs is trick flow

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well what i am wanting is to be able to smoke the tires be pretty fast and not break my wallet ... i was hoping that a edlebrock performer intake and carb with a mild cam and a good exhaust could get me there

·
Registered
301 Posts
too much money for heads? nahh .. just remember the old saying dude.. you get what you payed for. Just take this into consideration.. new heads, 700$ for some gt40s, being lenient, however you spell it,

new throttle,maf, exhaust, fuelpump, and cam = more than 700 =)

heads are a good upgrade... go for it!

·
Banned
3,784 Posts
if you get the Trick Flow heads complete, they come with valves, and valve springs that are good to .600 lift.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
To go carbureted you will need a 1985 model 5.0 mustang distrubutor. Get one with the steel gear if you have a roller motor. Then you will need either a Duraspark ignition control module for the same year (blue grommet style). There are many places online that explain how to wire this up. Or you need some type of aftermarket ignition control such as, MSD, summit, mallory. That takes care of ignition. For the carb: You have to take your fuel pump out of the tank and replace fuel pump with a piece of fuel line the same length then reinstall hanger back into the tank. Or buy the granetelli aftermarket hanger for this application. Install either a holley blue or red electric fuel pump between fuel tank and carb. As close to the tank as possible is ideal. You will need a 4 cyl fox body throttle cable as they are shorter. Atleast this is what I used. Figure out your own fab work for a throttle bracket. Install carb and intake of your choice! Most all other parts of the long block including pulley system can be reused.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
u can find some gt40p heads for cheap at a junkyard if your lucky. that intake will work u can proly find a trickflo stage 1 cam on craigslist or ebay for the same if not cheaper than an E cam and it is better...the msd blaster coil is pretty cheap for carbd..without upgradeing your heads 300 is gonna be a stretch.. thats 100 hp over stock..dont worry about the numbers just worry about getting it in the car and u will be happy with the power differnce over that v6..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
soo some heads would be better then just throwing in a cam ... i found some gt40 heads for bout 500 bucks used but idk if they come with rockers ... anyway so the tfs stage 1 cam is better then the e303 and so long and short if i got gt40 heads maybe the cam , then a edlbrock performer intake and carb i would have decent power ...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts