Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i had a 302 dropped into my 66 mustang and had issues with the shop. they claimed they finished the car but its got a few issues. I cant get the car to start now. It is making a grinding noise from the starter solenoid. Ive tried jumping it with the battery still in the car and directly to the cables. then i replaced the starter solenoid. i just pulled the starter and we tested it two times one time it failed and the other time it passed. the gears looks worn so i decided it would be a good time to just get a new one. I put that in and still just have the grinding noise from the solenoid. i also checked to make sure the line from the solenoid to the starter wasn't grounding out to anything. do u guys have any other ideas what it could be ?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I thought about it over night and the only think I can think would be the prob is a bad ground so I guess I'm going to borrow a fluke meter from work and start checking ground straps

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
if you have a bad batt with a shorted cell all the fire will go to the batt,not the starter.that will make the solenoid chatter.try a known good batt first.good luck

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took the battery out of the car and tried to jump it with the battery out of circuit same thing happened I tried to jumper across the solenoid to with both the new and old noide so I am sure that’s not it I tested this starter before I put it on. Only thing I could think of is it is a bad ground or something is shorted. I'm going to pull a terminal on the battery and see if it is drawling any amps when I get home to eliminate the possibly of a short.

·
I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
1,166 Posts
shot in the dark but does the engine spin? like if you turn the crank will it turn?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yup turns by hand . i had a set of jumper cables hooked to a running car it read 14v across the battery. when we cranked it on it dropped to 7.5vdc. i grabbed the fluke meter that has a bad fuss in it so it dosnt read amps so i cant see if it has a draw. i could only find one ground and that was from the battery straight to the front of the block. it had little resistance but im worried if that is enough grounding straps and could be the prob. where are the othere strabs suppose to be ?

·
I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
1,166 Posts
the way mine is grounded is with one on the back of the block and the - bat cable on the intake manifold. nothing else :dunno

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think there were several problems that made this one kind of hard to fix. i think both the battery and the starter were bad. so i replaced both of them. I also found new bolts and took some sand paper behind were the solenoid bolts to the firewall. I don't think it was grounding properly and that was the main prob.

I'd also like to thank mustangone. They are a stand up business. I have called him 2 times before for help and have never bought anything from him and he has never had a prob helping me. I am planning on getting a few parts after this coming pay day so I will defiantly be buying them from him

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yup she's running and being the DD again. the WS6 is down right now waiting for a fab9 and 2 maybe get a mini tub. I'm still straighten up some of the little things on the 66 but its is doing good so far.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts