Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Hip Hop Artist
6,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the manual saids put 5w-30 on my car . but the guy at pep boys said something about " my car's still new so i should put 5w-20" so i bought 5 cases of 5w-20 and k&n oil filter. so is this gonna work up my car or i didnt waste 50something bucks?

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
i was once told that if you switch the weight of the oil often you can potentially damage the engine... stick with what is in it

·
Registered
154 Posts
My '02 requires 5w-20. and it voids any warranty if i use something else

·
Registered
407 Posts
Oil Weight isnt that big a deal... use 5-20W if ur up north... use 10-30W if ur down south...i live in Ga so i use 5-30 or 10-30...

·
Registered
154 Posts
i ran 5w-30 in my 97 v6 for a year (9000 miles) and never had a problem with it

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
as long as your not changing your weight every oil change you will be fine... you will have to stick with 5-20 for a few oil changes so your engine can get used to it, before you go back to 30... also if it ever gets cold ... like down around 32*f then use 30 weight instead

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
why dont you return the incorrect product and exchange it for the one you need? you dont have to throw away the money.

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
then 20 will work but you have to stick with it for a while ... till your car gets older... but i would recommend 30...

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
i recommend exchanging the oil you bought for 5 qts. 5w30. also, i hope you purchased an oil filter of metal inside construction instead of the cheap cardboard most companies use

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
p.s. i purchase 5 qts castrol gtx 5w30 at 2.19/qt and a k&n or motorcraft (depending on stock at store) oil filter of metal construction 8.95, and in 15 minutes of the driveway, call it a day for less than 20 bucks

1 - 20 of 50 Posts