Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Chimney
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So driving my 99 v6 mustang, whenever im driving around there is a wind up noise that starts as soon as i hit 1500-2000rpms. would this be the powersteering pump or a pulley? or both? has anybody had this problem? kinda new to the whole mustangs...

thanks.

·
IG: opiesvt
8,782 Posts
I doubt it's a power steering pump. That would make a whining sound when turning the wheel.. I could be wrong tho.

I think I remember having kind of the same problem..can't remember exactly when the sound occurred tho.. Turned out to be the tension idler pulley.

·
hi you can call me mater
4,845 Posts
Sounds like the tensioner pulley, or you sure that winding sound is not from a supercharger under that hood?;)

03cristian

·
04 Mustang
400 Posts
Do you have gears? The reason being I heard if they were put in wrong they could wind. But if its coming from the front it sounds like the tensioner pulley.

·
Registered
84 Posts
it's either the gears or the tensioner pulley.. happens a good amount in these cars. I'm pretty sure if it happens while decelerating it's the gears and if it happens accelerating then it's the tensioner pulley. I'm not 100% on that though I'd definitely get a more exact diagnosis

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
I have a winding sound too. Several people said its most likely my tob. Where's the noise coming from? Mine sounds like its coming from the transmission

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Banned
1,232 Posts
my gears would whine, they were stock. FORDY, The TOB bearing should only whine when actuating the clutch, shouldn't it?

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Yeah, I forgot to mention it's only when the clutch is engaged. It doesn't make the sound when I rev in neutral.

·
Banned
1,232 Posts
Yeah, I forgot to mention it's only when the clutch is engaged. It doesn't make the sound when I rev in neutral.

That's not exactly what I meant. In my own little world the TOB is the bearing that the clutch fork pivots on, please correct me if im wrong. This should only squeak as you are actually pushing in or letting out the clutch and has nothing to do with RPM, Again please correct me if im wrong.

·
Poo tee weet?
2,646 Posts
That's not exactly what I meant. In my own little world the TOB is the bearing that the clutch fork pivots on, please correct me if im wrong. This should only squeak as you are actually pushing in or letting out the clutch and has nothing to do with RPM, Again please correct me if im wrong.
That's not the TOB. The throw out bearing is the ring looking piece that pushes against the pressure plate to disengage the clutch.

·
Registered
775 Posts
My TOB squeaks unless I put pressure on the clutch. And the higher Rpms I'm at the more it squeaks till around 3000 then it's fades away. But it's most Likely the tensioner pulley.

·
Poo tee weet?
2,646 Posts
So driving my 99 v6 mustang, whenever im driving around there is a wind up noise that starts as soon as i hit 1500-2000rpms. would this be the powersteering pump or a pulley? or both? has anybody had this problem? kinda new to the whole mustangs...

thanks.
The sound only happens when driving, not parked while revving the engine? Auto or manual? Does it matter what speed you're at?

·
Banned
1,232 Posts
That's not the TOB. The throw out bearing is the ring looking piece that pushes against the pressure plate to disengage the clutch.

Ah, so I was right and wrong at the same time! Thanks for the lesson!

·
Registered
390 Posts

thanks.
sounds like pilot bearing or trans or possibly could be the serp. belt or a idle or tensioner pulley. could be anything the belt spins. i just swapped my belt the other day and now it sounds like i have a wimpy super charger. before i put it in i let it soak in water for a few days because it was a 5 year old spare with minor dry rot.

·
Registered
57 Posts
my TOB made more of a chattering noise than a winding before i replaced it :dunno

·
Chimney
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its a manual, it only does it when im driving or if i rev it and rpms hit 2500-up the higher the rpm the louder it gets, it doesnt do it when i engage the clutch unless im in 2500rpms up and once i shift and the rpms lower it fades away it doesnt wind when im in 2000rpms or lower, stock gears.. the car is bonestock nothings done to it.. i got a newbelt and it started squeaking on cold starts, and the windup started as well only the squeak happens on really cold starts but the windup hasnt faded away.

·
Poo tee weet?
2,646 Posts
Take the belt off and run it briefly to see if the sound is still there. While it's off spin all the accessories to see if they seem bad.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts