Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Made in U.S.A.
22,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last time I reloaded my computer after wiping everything clean with 'Parted Magic' I saved a system image including my C: and D: drives which C contains my OS and the first group of programs on my D drive. I have more drives but I didn't include them in the system image.

For some reason, all of a sudden, my computer started constantly freezing with no BSOD or memory dump, etc. It would just freeze, not respond to keys or mouse, leaving the only option to power it down by the power button on the tower. So when this happened I disabled all services and start-up services to figure out what was causing it. It came down to 'Western Digital Drive Manager' was causing the freeze. However this program had been installed for years and my system didn't have any recent software or hardware changes either. I tried a bunch of stuff with no luck so I decided to just go back to my system image.

So, I load the system recovery / image tool and find my system image. Select it and start it. It seriously ran for over 16 hours completing less than 10% of the recovery... I changed my drives from ACHI to IDE and RAID as I saw some suggestions online claiming it reduced the time from what I was experiencing to minutes to a couple hours. Either way, I was thinking I figured it out. Set my drives to both IDE or RAID with no change really. Let it run for a couple of hours before I gave up.

Now I'm reloading everything. Planning on doing another system image. However if I can't figure out why it's doing this it'll be pretty much worthless to me, again.

Any ideas guys? @ChrisJ? @Lefty?

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 PM ----------

lmao and there went the C: drive... Samsung 840 Pro 128gb. This is my second Samsung failure. I got the OS, mobo driver utilities, gpu driver utilities and all of sudden goes to the dreaded black screen with flashing underscore. Loaded BIOS and can't see it, Parted Magic doesn't see it. Going to check the cable but doubt it.

·
Will Eat Spam From Your Butt
6,807 Posts
Don't just check the cable, try using a new one...I bought a Samsung SSD for my macbook and had all sorts of stupid issues and instability on the SSD, but for some reason the old school mechanical drive worked fine. I checked and rechecked the thing thinking it might be dirty or not seated properly, no dice.

Swapped cable out for a new one and it was smooth like buttah. There's a number of forums saying other people have had the same sort of luck.

Not sure why these SSDs are so particular about the cables, but they're cheap enough that I'm about to the point that if I'm swapping one out then I'll just run a new cable with it. Better safe than sorry.

·
Made in U.S.A.
22,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually did grab another cable from another drive which plugged it into another SATA port incase there was an issue with that particular port on the mobo. Drove to Best Buy because online it said they had all these SSDs... Get there and they seriously have two, neither of which I wanted. So Amazon is bringing my new one tomorrow. Ended up ordering a Samsung 850 Pro 250gb and this will be the last chance. Next failure will be another brand..

I think I'm going to partition this drive into two because of the size increase. I think my OS, MS Office, anti-virus, crucial utilities for mobo / gpu is around ~72 gb if I can remember correctly. So thinking either doing two 125 gb partitions or a 110/240 gb split.

·
_
3,782 Posts
Samsung builds their hard drives like they build their phones..... SSD's do have a life span and its usually really short. The bigger the SSD the more amount of memory you can read/write thus taking longer for the drive to become unreadable. I went through a 120 GB SSD in 4 years. Personally I would leave it as one partition and install the basics on it. Anything like Steam or iTunes or Office I would put on the HDD. If anything you could do a 60 GB partition purely for demanding things like recent games, Adobe suite, AutoCAD and any other production software. I would only put high demanding games on the SSD and older less demanding games on the HDD.

It should not take that long to transfer that amount of data. How exactly was it connected to the computer? What did you initially backup onto? An internal backup HDD?

·
Made in U.S.A.
22,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Samsung builds their hard drives like they build their phones..... SSD's do have a life span and its usually really short. The bigger the SSD the more amount of memory you can read/write thus taking longer for the drive to become unreadable. I went through a 120 GB SSD in 4 years. Personally I would leave it as one partition and install the basics on it. Anything like Steam or iTunes or Office I would put on the HDD. If anything you could do a 60 GB partition purely for demanding things like recent games, Adobe suite, AutoCAD and any other production software. I would only put high demanding games on the SSD and older less demanding games on the HDD.

It should not take that long to transfer that amount of data. How exactly was it connected to the computer? What did you initially backup onto? An internal backup HDD?
Well, they will get one last chance but at the time they were the most reliable from the failure rates I had seen. I'm not sure if they still are. SSDs are random access so they really work great with partitions. Shouldn't slow anything down and if anything it allows a smaller section for the OS to operate on. Right now it's running 54 gb / 117 gb.

I've got three Samsung 256gb SSDs in here now plus two 1TB WD Blacks. lol Plus two external backup drives. So, my C drive is all my operating system, system essentials, Windows Office, etc. The partitioned D drive right now is only iTunes with the music being stored elsewhere, security camera program, and VLC. The other two drives are for Steam and Origin each lol. All of my files, music, etc are on the Blacks, backed up multiple times lol.

Are you referencing when I was trying to do the system image? I was thinking it was because of the SSD's imminent death. Yes it was backed up on a black and one of my external drives (USB 3.0) which speeds were the same sadly. Either way, I did another system image ended up roughly 86 gb prior to a few bigger programs like PS, etc.

·
Made in U.S.A.
22,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL, I know! I never intended it to end up this way plus it's been over many years.. The previous Samsung 840 Pro that failed was replaced but I couldn't wait for them so I went out a bought one. Planned on selling the replacement but never got around to it so I just decided to throw it in lol. I did the same thing this time around but I'm going to make sure I sell the replacement this time around lol.

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
Dude - I have no idea lol

I haz Apple. I only use Windows at work.

·
RIP Dennis
76,390 Posts
text me or mail me bud. Sorry just saw this

1 - 10 of 10 Posts