Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to get sone windsor jr heads in very good condition barely used for $550 is that a good deal or should I put that money else where.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Whats your setup now? I have some Roush 200's Which are pretty much just Windsor Sr's. And they are nice for the price its a nice boost over stock, but they were on the car when i got them.

Imo, if i were you if you are planning to mod the car heavily then i would just save the money and get some used Trick flows. But it all depends on your setup, what you want the car to do and so on. Hope that helps some!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whats your setup now? I have some Roush 200's Which are pretty much just Windsor Sr's. And they are nice for the price its a nice boost over stock, but they were on the car when i got them.

Imo, if i were you if you are planning to mod the car heavily then i would just save the money and get some used Trick flows. But it all depends on your setup, what you want the car to do and so on. Hope that helps some!
Well my set is 306 lt headers 4.10 and I'm going with a mild cam and I have gt40 manifold and all I want is a coo fun street car to drive that's about it, do u think I should port the heads a lil bit and the manifold or just leave them alone ?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Well my set is 306 lt headers 4.10 and I'm going with a mild cam and I have gt40 manifold and all I want is a coo fun street car to drive that's about it, do u think I should port the heads a lil bit and the manifold or just leave them alone ?
Well what cam do you want to go with? Do you have any goals for this car in particular? If your just looking for a street cruiser that ya can have fun with they will def work out for ya.

But you can port them, they are a great head if you do, and i would at least recommend minor porting b/c they have some casting flaws. But it depends on how much experience you have porting.

But honestly if your looking to save a few bucks i would consider a used set up GT-40 heads, you can get a set for a couple hundred bucks and since you are going to have to get new valve springs to match you cam on either head, the GT-40's price diff. could save you a few bucks and you would still be very happy with them.

Its up to you but just an idea. there are a lot of GT-40 Combo's out there that can give ya about the same result as the windor jrs and save you some money in the process.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well the cam idk yet but something on the nig side and im going to put them n the shop and have them port as much as they can and do the same port to the gt40 manifold too and my goal is a weekend street cruiser....

·
Registered
67 Posts
They are a better head than the gt40 in my opinion. Bigger valves and ports and a 58cc combustion chamber compared to 64 of the GT40. Will bump compression up some. You'll have to buy rockers as well since they have a 3/8 screw in stud.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
http://http://www.carbdford.com/tech/flowdata.htm

There are deff better heads than GT-40s no question, but figured since hes not looking for insane power either or will work.

Its up to you man, but if you do get the jr's def. have them ported, but if your going to spend the extra money to have that done you could just save the money and go GT-40's or spend a little more and get some used trickflow heads that wont need porting and will save weight. Up to you, the options are almost limitless.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
http://http://www.carbdford.com/tech/flowdata.htm

There are deff better heads than GT-40s no question, but figured since hes not looking for insane power either or will work.

Its up to you man, but if you do get the jr's def. have them ported, but if your going to spend the extra money to have that done you could just save the money and go GT-40's or spend a little more and get some used trickflow heads that wont need porting and will save weight. Up to you, the options are almost limitless.
I want them ported what's a average price for a nice port job ?

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I want them ported what's a average price for a nice port job ?
A decent port job is gona run you $500-$800. If you'r going to spend that much buy a better head. Used Trick Flow 170's, AFR 165, Performer RPM's can be bought used in excellent shape between $800 and $1100, and alot of the times they will come with rockers also.

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
**** that you can buy some ported tfs straight from tea for less than that

·
Registered
232 Posts
Not a chance I'd pay that much to port heads. You could by trick flows or AFR's already ported for less than that. Sounds like one of those guys that figures you'll have to pay that cost to get it done, like hes the only one with the knowledge to do it.

I think a lot of these shops forget there's entire market of performance products out there. Were not living in the days where you have to port your stock heads anymore.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Cobra would come with iron GT-40's not the GT-40p's anyway.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts