Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im looking on craigs and i found a windstar manifold for $60. But it still needs to be modded to bolt on. What needs to be done to it so it will fit. Then found a 8.8 POSI Rear End with 3.73s for $200, since i was going to do gears and tllok to my stock rear end. Would i still notice the acceleration with the extra weight?

·
Registered
83 Posts
shouldnt be much difference in weight ( not enough to tell a difference ) i would say go fir the 8.8 also u have to have ur windstar intake modified ( iac port shave and bracket re-locations. there are threads here where ppl discuss what needs to be done with the intake and u can order all the other parts u need to make ur intake work str8 from VAP auto website.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Id get the rear end and stuff if u plan on going ovr 300hp ish if not ur just adding xtra weight don't get me wrong for 200 bucks for an 8.8 with everything in it is awsome but to me thts just xtra weight if ur notta gonna go f/I but also don't get me wrong our u.5 can break just as easy as some 8.8s and vise versa

·
Registered
158 Posts
^ agree but price wise 8.8 /w tlok n gears is waaaaay cheaper than 7.5 + tlok + gears

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Oh I agree even more...its is waaaaaay cheaper...hands down but if he wants he wants it ..its just my :2cents tht its dead weight unless he wants f/I but then again it has steeper gears so...ill shut up :lol

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you are worried about the extra wieght, its no much at all (I don't know the exact math, but it cant be more than 75lbs) If anything you get better traction and its easy to bolt it up. Make sure you remember where your driveshaft lines up with your pinion flange!

·
Registered
200 Posts
So im looking on craigs and i found a windstar manifold for $60. But it still needs to be modded to bolt on. What needs to be done to it so it will fit. Then found a 8.8 POSI Rear End with 3.73s for $200, since i was going to do gears and tllok to my stock rear end. Would i still notice the acceleration with the extra weight?
Skip the manifold for now. The 8.8 will require no modifications to install. The extra traction will make your car more fun in turns as well as straight line acceleration.

However, if you like pretending you are the "Dukes of Hazard" then get the windstar intake and skip the 8.8. More power on that open diff makes for an even wilder ride!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just got word from the guy its from a thunderbird supercoupe.
As for the windstar, i check the site a few times a week and it always says hes out of stock.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Yes he's currently running on a list of backorders. When you make your purchase he'll send you an email and give you an estimated time to get your delivery.
Trust me it worth it to just get the kit and pay a little extra. I modified mine and it was a headache. I confuckered it up the first time and had to redo the filling of the hole.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts