Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So it's that time of year again. Snow will be here soon and I need a new set of winter tires. I had a set that was 245/45/r17's (can't remeber what brand), but all the ones i find or a bit much. Would a 255/40/r17 be a good choice to use (found one thats cheap) and does anyone run a 255/40/r17? The rims i use for the winter are stock GT 5 star rims. Here is the tire i am looking at getting. Any feed back would be great.

Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, for some reason (I don't know why) the link doesn't work. The tire is a 255/40/R17 Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22 from Tirerack.com and is about $73.00 on closeout.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My advise, DONT DO IT. I live in Mass too, and the worst thing you can possibly do is drive that thing in the winter. I caused about 6700 dollars worth of damage, (500 out of pocket) sliding around and went over a curb. Not to mention the embarrassment of being stuck in snow ALL THE TIME. Get a jeep, get a beater car, ANYTHING but driving the car in the snow. And winter tires for a mustang? trust me, nothing works, all season, winter, snow tires... they dont work for our cars. PM me and ill tell you more about the winter of 2004 and my poor GT...

·
Registered
66 Posts
They should work fine and I think the Blizzaks tend to run a little narrow anyway. Those will be just a little taller but that shouldn't hurt anything. To be honest though, a little narrower tire would do better in the snow. For the price, I'd probably go ahead and get them though.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
I was sliding around in my driveway with a tiny layer of frost with the tires that I had planned on using for winter. That's when I realized i'd be completely ****ed if I was ever driving the stang and there was snow on the road or in a parking lot. I got an 87 plymouth reliant for a winter car... FOR FREE!!! Just gotta pay insurance. Probably the best decision I've made when it comes to cars, I'm sure it'll save me a lot of headaches, not to mention money, in the long run.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I sure like being able to drive my car all year on the same tires.:D I had F1 Allseasons last year (stock size) and they did pretty good that one day there was about 6" of snow in Lawton, Ok. That was until it started melting and freezing.:( They are not a cheap tire though.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Sounds like you all have terrible winter tires. I have true winter tires. No studs that I used on my car in Montana all winter. It worked flawless. I had no issues anywhere driving in the snow. They were X-ice or some **** like that. They cost more than $78 a tire tho. I spent like $650 or so for the set. However, they work and I didn't need to buy a beater car.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
ive got a set of yokohama tires that i use, cant remember the name, but any ways they are a 235/45/17 and they worked pretty well. i will be using my old 94 v6 stang for the winter time this year.not the ideal vehicle but alot better then driving my GT

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have been driving my car in the winter for 3 winters now. Never had a problem with going off the road. I just drive like an old lady when the roads are bad. I am trying to get a car for the winter, but i still would like a set of winter tires so I can make sure the car is in good shape over the winter when the roads are ok, or if i can't get a beater before the winter.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I also put about 200-240lbs of weight in the trunk to help out (i got 40lb bags of wood pellets i burn for my wood pellet stove. Keeps my place nice a warm all winter long) and it does give me a better bite in the rear end, but doesn't always get me out of a tight spot. Thats where friends come in to play. lol

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I made it through this last winter. This was 5 mins after i got home, but still. Getting good winter tires would help me this winter, unless I can get a winter beater.

View attachment 24639

View attachment 24640

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
Heh, I drove my stang on and off during the winter on my nittos... I got around just fine with ice and mild bits of snow, however when stopped on a hill, there just wasnt enough traction from the nittos and it could be tricky. I really hated making it all the way home (couple decent hills btw) and making it to the top of the hill I live on and getting stuck on the lip to my driveway. If I could coast in at a proper speed it was fine, but if I had to hesitate for any reason it sucked. Driving my gt in the winter was a good lesson on throttle control and by the end of it all it had tamed my driving quite a bit. I just drive like a grandma all of the time, and am just much much more cautious/careful now.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea i live on a hill so i know what you mean. The best part of driving a mustang in the winter is the 5mph perfect doughnuts in a parking lot (if you can make it to one). lol Well that and it is soooo much easier to practice drifting as well. I am going to try and get a video of me drifting this winter if I can get a friend to shoot it for me.

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
you know I prefer the rwd over fwd during winter. Once I got used to it, I found myself getting around better than I did with any of my previous cars, just have to heavily moderate the gas pedal and its all good.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I have been driving my car in the winter for 3 winters now. Never had a problem with going off the road. I just drive like an old lady when the roads are bad. I am trying to get a car for the winter, but i still would like a set of winter tires so I can make sure the car is in good shape over the winter when the roads are ok, or if i can't get a beater before the winter.
i drive mine in the snow all the time. its sucks balls being low to the ground. but thats really about it. those tires will do you just fine. but i did have about 300lbs in the back ... sand bags are your friend durring snow :D

but with that being said.. i would still MUCH rather have a truck. beater or non beater...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts