Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Penetration before detonation
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, so your New Edge wiper arms have lost their lust. Okay, so they never had any- but maybe the sun has done some damage, or perhaps corrosion is rearing its ugly head. Nonetheless, painting the arms of your wipers will make your car look that much more cleaner- so here's a walkthrough of how to do it!

Materials needed:

1 Can spray paint
Newspaper
Flat head screwdriver (optional)
About an hour- hour an' a half.

First thing you want to do is remove the wiper arms. This isn't like on some GM cars, where you need the special removal tool. To do this, raise the arm into the upright position and focus on the base of the arm, where it mounts to the car. There is a tab that has a long edge on one side of the base, and a short side on the other side of the base. On the longer edge, use a screwdriver to push the short side through and pull on the opposite end. When this tab is pulled out as far as it can go, lift straight up and the entire assembly should come right off.

Disassemble the arm by removing the blades and set them aside. Getting paint on the the blade itself is a bad thing and not safe for use- so don't half-ass it and paint this assembly while on the car (I saw some knucklehead do this on youtube).

Lay out some newspaper and grab the paint can you're going to use. I used this super-exotic paint from Cambodia that costs $12,000 per 10 OZ, but if you want to use some cheap Wal-Mart fast-dry stuff, that will work too.

Clean the arms with some...cleaner. I used window cleaner since it doesn't leave a residue, but I'm sure you could run some Simple Green or something. You just don't want to have a dirty painting surface.

Set the arms down, and start spraying away! Don't spray too little or you'll get ugliness shining through, and don't spray too much because you'll get puddling and will look like crap.

Wait however long it takes (the fast-dry stuff is usually completely able to handle after about twenty minutes, other stuff shouldn't take but maybe an hour tops) and inspect it. If it's good, move on, otherwise, start over and take a shower to wash the shame off of you because you officially suck at painting.

Re-assemble the whole thing, and put them back on the car. At this time, you can adjust the height of the wipers on the windshield (some like them lower) to however high or low you want them.

And there! You're done. Reps if you likey :D

·
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Needless to say, I got a deal on it. But you know how I roll!

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Looks great Supr! Glad that worked out for you. I'll have to paint my wiper arms in the spring (once the rest of the car gets painted).

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Nice and Clean i been meaning to do it to both my cars i have the same .97 cent paint still laying in the garage for other projects lol.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
Good job. One little bit of info though....if you dont scuff before you paint there is a GREAT chance the paint will start to peel/flake.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Good job. One little bit of info though....if you dont scuff before you paint there is a GREAT chance the paint will start to peel/flake.

yea some 800 Grit or something by hand would probably work..

·
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys! Good tip 330cube- I shoulda known better than to just spray it on...looks good so far though.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Dammit Supr, this has been on my mind all night. I even went and spent $12000 on a can of that spray paint. Like you though, I had a hook-up that got it for me much cheaper. So I'm hopefully gonna get this done this week. Do you think a clear coat would help reduce possible damage to the paint (dump trucks hauling gravel have a way of pulling out in front of me) so this will last longer or should I just not worry about that and repaint it when it needs to be done again>

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
I wouldnt worry about the clear coat. Just take the advice of AJM and then the procedure of Supra and you should be fine.

OP- great job

Reactions: McQueen

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
good work dude. what kind of color can a $12000 can produce. lol
It only comes in red. It's a dark red. Takes 10-15 cambodian children to mix the right color. It's like a blood red really.

:shiftyeyes

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
:shiftyeyes

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
:D

:sorry

:D

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
nice write up i plan on re-painting mine this weeking ..they look horrible

·
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lol you guys crack me up.

Yes, the $12,000 spray paint can be had from...a guy...

I would recommend getting some rust-o-leum or high-temp paint to keep it from going back to ugly. As for a clear coat... I think you're on your own bro.

·
Registered
978 Posts
good write up man, reps to ya. ill be attempting this in a couple of months and adjusting mine down just a tad bit cuz i like that lower look.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts