Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a set of pilot pl-802c driving lights and want to use the factory switch to turn them on and off. how do i wire them up? the aftermarket ones obviously dont have the same factory connector. is there a diagram or anything?

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
See ***THIS*** thread for some possible help. I cannot recall if I have any info on which wires are which, but I do think so.

The second issue you may not have figured is the amperage draw of new lights vs. old lights. If they draw enough additional amperage, they can burn out switch on dash. In such a case, a heavy-duty relay would be the way to go in order to still use the OEM switch on dash. It is not a bad idea anyway, as the OEM wiring is not ideal and addressed via my thread link above.

Jazzer :)

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
Wire the positive side of the lights together, and directly connect the ground to the chassis. If you want to have the fog lights turn on with the headlights, here's how you want to wire a typical 5 pin relay:

30: +12V from battery, 20A fuse
85: Ground
86: Headlight (+) wire
87: Output to fog lights (+)
87a: Not used

If you want to turn them on with a switch, you can just wire the switch output to 86.

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
where is the 5 pin relay that i wire all that too? is there not an easier way to just splice some wires together from my original fog light wiring lol?

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
You can buy a relay from advance auto or radioshack. You can use the existing fog wiring if you have a switch in your car. Just wire the positive side of the fog lamps to the positive outputs of the original wiring.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, mines a gt and came with fogs. thats awesome bro. thanks a lot for the help. i think in jazzers post he said the positive is the brown wire on the original wiring so i can just splice each side to that wire and be done?

one more question, each light has a ground wire coming out of it that is about 4 inches long. where can i ground each light if im attaching it to the plastic bumper?

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
Sure thing, I forget what color the OEM positive wire is but Jazzer is probably correct. As for the grounds, run a new wire up to the metal bracket directly behind either headlight. There's a bolt on either side that's a ground. Crimp a ring terminal onto the wire and bolt it to the chassis.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts