Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have any tips on removing the metal wiring harness connectors??

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
+1 or location

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok guys well im not at home right now, but i can give yall some insight into my problem. the wiring harness i am talking about is right behind the headlight control knob. i am currently trying to install white face gauges that i ordered from american muscle and im at the point to where i need to wire the positive and negative wires. what would be the best way to do this? i thought about just cutting the positive headlight control wire, stripping it back a little and twisting in the positive wire then finding a new pin top to plug back into the harness, but maybe there is something easier i can do. any help is appreciated greatly guys!

thanks,
tyler

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this is the best picture i can put on for right now until i can get home and take some pics. its from the fixing vvme hid light sticky

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
other then using taps the way that I do alot of my connections, other then soldering them together, is the "poke through" method.

1)Take the wire that you want to access and strip it back so that you have bare wires

2) Take a poker and poke through the exposed wire splitting it in half

3) Take the wire that you want to use to tap into above wire and strip the end back about an inch and twist the wire

4) Take the above wire and then feed it through the hole you created in step 2

5) Close wire that you poked through with wire going through it

6) Wrap wire that was poked through around until nice and tight

7) Take some electical tape and wrap twice. One going against the direction of the twist and then another on top going in the direction of the twist. you can step it up by soldering the wires once your done then taping them up.

here are the wires that you are looking for
Parking Lights BROWN (+) LIGHT SWITCH

as for the ground wire (negative)
just take it to any surface that has bare metal and drill a hole with a self tap or find a bolt that is on bare metal with nothing else on it then back it out slightly and wrap the wire around it, or take a ring terminal and crimp it on then place the bolt through it.

Reactions: WhtStang00

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks so much wraither!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
for a poker, can i just use anything to split that wire?

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok well i went to test everything out, but the gauges didnt work. i connected the red positive wire to the fat brownish wire by splitting it and wrapping the exposed red wire around the exposed brown wire. and i drilled a hold and grounded the black wire. any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
did you check to make sure that the wire that you tapped into was the right one? If not just check around that harness to make sure there isnt another brown wire in there as that wire should be thin. Also, where did you make the hole for your ground?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
there are two brown wires, one fat one and one thin one. it was my understanding that im supposed to tap into the fat one. i grounded the black wire onto the metal behind the gauge cluster

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
where did you get the impression that it was the fat wire? Just being curious. try tapping into the thinner wire as im almost positive that that is the one that you need.

What you can do is just strip that thin wire back to expose the wire and then wrap the cluster wire around it to test it. If it is it then go ahead and tap into it.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
if you are using the Americanmuscle write up dont get confused. The wire they are telling you to tap into is a Gray thick wire. This is a switched positive, or ignition, that gets power when the ignition is in the "On" position. If thats what you want to do. Now the wire that I am telling you to tap into is the Parking light wire so that whenever you pull the knob they come on.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lol in the instructions that stack racing provided it looked like that fat wire was the one they were indicating. ok ill try the thin one

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
how did it work out for you?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well after i went through the whole mess of getting my car towed to ford to get new keys made...it worked out great! thanks! the only problem i have now is that sometimes the needle sticks, but that shouldnt be too hard to fix

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Well after i went through the whole mess of getting my car towed to ford to get new keys made...it worked out great! thanks! the only problem i have now is that sometimes the needle sticks, but that shouldnt be too hard to fix
:lol glad to hear it all came out good. as far as the needles sticking just pull the needles up a little and thats it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts