Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, im new to the board and have been doing allot of research but cant find an answer to my problems. i bought a 96 mustang gt for my son off a guy and it has the mach 460 system. he wired a jvc deck in it buy cutting and splicing wires (no wire harness) now amps dont work and dont sound great but i read on here about the harnes you can buy and i still have the factory plugs he cut off. the problem is when i hit the driver unlock button the parking lights, tail lights, instrment cluster flash on but the doors dont unlock or lock even with the key. passanger side works fine. the keyless entry dont work, dome light only works with the key on. does any of this make sense to anybody. there is also 5 plugs not hooked up behind the stereo should everything be hooked to something or are there extra plugs for other things. thanks

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
Sounds like you should get a used Mach 460 deck and reinstall it to me. You can usually get on from ebay for around 25 bucks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
me and my son were out looking into it again and figured out that the dome light only works with the key on accesory and the power locks work when the key is on accesory. when the key is off the drivers lock dont work and flashes the lights and wont lock or unlock. passanger lock works fine. i thought about buying stock and starting over but do i have to buy the am/fm tape and a seperate cd unit? would anything behind the stereo affect the other problems im having?

·
Will Eat Spam From Your Butt
6,807 Posts
Sounds like you should get a used Mach 460 deck and reinstall it to me. You can usually get on from ebay for around 25 bucks.
+1

Though if you really want the aftermarket deck AFAIK walmart sells a Scosche wiring harness that will work with the 460 system. I kept my Mach system entirely stock though I added two 10" Kicker Impulses in the trunk and just spliced a line out converter into the signal wires BEFORE the amps. Took about 10 minutes to set up and it retains a nice stock appearance.

As for the keyless entry/dome light problems, I would strongly suspect your son jacked something up cutting and splicing the wires. I would wire everything back to stock and then just leave it alone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
problem may be solved i got ahold of previous owner he said best buy installed deck and they hacked it up. i bought the right harness from crutchfield so all should be good. thanks for help

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
PM me your email address and I will send you a list of all the wires, functions, locations, colors, and polarity that will get you on the right track. i highly doubt that Best buy did it as they will use harness's and if they dont have the correct harness they will pull up wire colors and tap into them not hack the plug off. All the plugs behind the radio are more than likely for the cd player and the radio up top. i can tell you that whomever decided to work on that car did a hack job on it as they were tackling more then they had experience with.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
also, forgot to mention, if you are trying to bypass the mach system on 94-98 models the easiest way is to use the 2 connectors that are on the metal support bracket on the right inside of the radio cavity. there will be a gray rectangular plug (power and ground wires) and then a black rectangular plug (all 8 speaker wires leading straight to the speakers bypassing the mach amps). The correct harness to use for this will be the Scoshe FD02B

·
FucusRuckus
1,670 Posts
you can use the aftermarket deck, with the wiring harness, it sounds like to me he screwed something up when he wired it in himself. you might want to check into which wires he spliced into

·
Registered
982 Posts
hey guys i just bought a 96 GT and the amps dont seem to be working in the mach system. its all stock but sounds like crap with ZERO bass so im guessing the two amps in the rear deck arent on theres sound from all the speakers just no bass. i want to fix this and put in my aftermarket alpine deck. i know alot of you on here suggested keeping it factory i just would rather have the alpine though. can i use the same harness suggested above for this? and what would you guys suggest in trouble shooting the amps not being on? i bought it that way and have done my own stereos before but ive never worked on the Mach 460 system and it looks like a headache. the amps seemed to be hooked up but no out of them. thanks for the help guys!

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
each amp controls something different. The deck has no power output of it's own, it runs off the amps. If you can figure out which amp controls the bass then you can just replace that amp. You can find them on ebay fairly cheap. I can tell you that the front amp under the cd deck controls the front tweeters on the door pods. Mine went out so i replaced the deck but have regretted it since. The sound quality is just not the same as the mach system. I wish i had found out about the system and just replaced the defective amp instead of the head unit.

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
I saw a posty a while back where someone had listed what each amp controlled. Try the search feature and maybe you will find it.

·
Registered
982 Posts
thanks

I saw a posty a while back where someone had listed what each amp controlled. Try the search feature and maybe you will find it.
yeah if your standing at the back of the car facing the front (looking into the truck) the left (drivers side amp) controls the door speakers and the right side (passenger side) controls the rear deck but i think its odd they both went out at the same time when they were working fine so i figured a pinched wire. someone had a write up on here about tht and other said they had the same issue but now i cant find that thread again. thanks though yeah ive been searching this site like a mad man the last few days since i got this car trying to get everything figured out lol.

·
7.62x39 CO2 Cannon
5,056 Posts
If you come across a deck for $25, let me know because I'm looking for one.

My aftermarket $450 Kenwood went on the fizzle and even started a battery drain issue - so I removed it and have no tunes. :mad:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts