Modded Mustang Forums banner

Wiring

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Destination S197 
#1 ·
To make a long story short, I need to replace the wiring in my 1970 coupe as the original harnesses has been butchered and I have all sorts of electrical gremlins. I was thinking of getting the American Autowire Classic Update kit 1970 Mustang. I'm still fairly new to mechanical work and haven't done too much wiring. My question is...How difficult is it to install one of these kits? Would I be making a mistake to replace all the wiring myself?

Thanks!

#2 ·
I installled an AAW in my 65 last summer. It took about 5 days to gut all the wiring and install the new one, and that was without disassembling the car. I'm fairly handy with low voltage wires, but I found it to be one of the simplistic projects I took up. Just be sure to get the expensive crimper designed for the kit. Some places have them for rent.

#3 ·
I agree with AJ I did the AAW kit on both my daughters 67 and my 65. another nice to have but not really necessary tool that I absolutely love for wiring is a power probe. it is great for testing circuits. I also recommend the power braid loom wrap from painless wiring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.