1 - 20 of 1155 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
00blkvert
1,981 Posts
I used the 2nd write up you have posted. Just follow that step by step and you'll be good. Just watch your followers to make sure they stay in place. O and I didn't have to pull any of them either.

For plugs I think just use the socket that fits to get them unthreaded then I use either needle nose pliers or a.regular spark plug socket to pull them out but I think I left my plugs in.

·
Registered
13,624 Posts
Pulling the plugs just makes it easier to turn the engine over by hand. You can leave them in if you want.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any chance to make the process easier I'll take lol thank god for pictures, I have no clue what any of the **** their saying is lol guess I'll be learning a lot on this install

·
Insomniac
5,912 Posts
I used the 2nd write up you have posted. Just follow that step by step and you'll be good. Just watch your followers to make sure they stay in place. O and I didn't have to pull any of them either.

For plugs I think just use the socket that fits to get them unthreaded then I use either needle nose pliers or a.regular spark plug socket to pull them out but I think I left my plugs in.
I unusually use the correct socket to loosen them, then use a coil pack to pull them out. Good luck on the install bud, you're a little braver than me

·
Registered
13,624 Posts
You'll be alright Bullethead. You should be able to do a cam swap in an afternoon. It's not that hard, don't let it freak you out.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What cams did you buy?
Hot rods

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

If you have an extra set of hands/eyes that will also help.
My dads gunna be here, but he's about as mechanically challenged as I am lol

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

You'll be alright Bullethead. You should be able to do a cam swap in an afternoon. It's not that hard, don't let it freak you out.
Yeah I'm just gunna take it nice and slow lol multiple write ups with lots of pictures should serve me well.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Good luck man! I will be in your shoes pretty soon.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Its not bad, did a cam swap in my 07 over the course of a day and a half. FFRP intake manifold, Beehive valve springs, phaser limiters. But we just pulled the heads so it was a bit easier.
Advice - make sure you have a tune ready or you're dead in the water, change your plugs when you do the swap, order the lisle tool in case you break off a plug.

·
I <3 Car Crashes
1,341 Posts
Can't wait to do mine, the install looks easy honestly! I plan on doin the method where you don't use a spring compressor, just loosen everything evenly to pull out the stock then tighten everything evenly to install the new ones. I'll do my plugs then too I guess I had forgot about that

·
Registered
3,186 Posts

these are both good videos for the visual learner like myself!

if you havent already ( not sure if you have to or not but i did as it was obvious id have more room.) go ahead and remove your battery and battery tray, then the coil packs. some short bungie cords or zip ties are a good help to hold the wireing harness' out of your way while working near the cams.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
make sure you have a tune ready or you're dead in the water, change your plugs when you do the swap, order the lisle tool in case you break off a plug.
This is why I chose to do it at my house rather my friends who has some mechanical experience, just in case something happened or I didn't get my tune in then it's no biggie cuz it's at my place. But luckily they sent my tune to me today

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

3V Camshaft Swap - YouTube

More Mustang Power with a Cam Upgrade - YouTube

these are both good videos for the visual learner like myself!

if you havent already ( not sure if you have to or not but i did as it was obvious id have more room.) go ahead and remove your battery and battery tray, then the coil packs. some short bungie cords or zip ties are a good help to hold the wireing harness' out of your way while working near the cams.
I was actually gunna look up some videos when I got home, so your awesome lol thanks man

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
I got a tip, get off your phone and get it started and don't stop till its done

·
Registered
13,624 Posts
Oh and it's probably too late and probably won't make a difference but I always cleaned the camshaft real good and soaked it in oil overnight. Don't know if anyone does this anymore but it was just the way I was taught

1 - 20 of 1155 Posts