Modded Mustang Forums banner

181 - 200 of 1155 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
FullMetal, what part of Texas are you in?

How about this.. Put the cap on using the other bolt. I'm not sure if you can put a brass sleeve in the broken bolt side to guide the drill bit straight through the cap, like using the cap as a jig. If you think the cap might move, put a small c-clamp on the sides to keep the cap straight. Just do't get aluminum all over the place.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
**** yeah, I'm gunna try this. I'm not sure where to buy it tho, it's hard to figure out because of the fcking tapout clothes line lol

---------- Post added at 01:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 AM ----------

FullMetal, what part of Texas are you in?
About an hour north east of Dallas

·
dirt/street Motorsports
683 Posts
ive got some hillbilly friends that live up that way that can fix **** like Cooter Duke, or just jimmey rig it .. ill give em a call and get on the way

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
ive got some hillbilly friends that live up that way that can fix **** like Cooter Duke, or just jimmey rig it .. ill give em a call and get on the way
There's a very good chance that they live in farmersville then lol

·
Registered
391 Posts
Brenspeed has a shop in Dallas...

·
Registered
140 Posts
what city do you live in? i live in longview which is 2 hours east of dallas. if its not to far i will come out tonight and take care of the bolt situation if you pay for the gas to get there??? wouldn't be much help with the cam install though, never crossed that bridge...

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
what city do you live in? i live in longview which is 2 hours east of dallas. if its not to far i will come out tonight and take care of the bolt situation if you pay for the gas to get there??? wouldn't be much help with the cam install though, never crossed that bridge...
Damn that's pretty nice man! But you definitely don't wanna drive to my house lol your 2:30 hours from me. I'm in farmersville

---------- Post added at 10:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

I wanna say that they don't sell the tap out anymore, because I can't find it anywhere

·
Registered
140 Posts
2 1/2 hrs one way is a hell of a drive indeed. call and see if there is a grainger near your area. left hand bits aren't common, you won't find very many, if any at all, in a generic hardware store. 1/8" is PN# 4DG94 and 5/32" is 4DG96. they are between $5 and $6 each if you can find one. i'm all about karma, i'll do it if you are still at an impasse sunday. i'll be checking your status on this thread.

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
They may have a different name for it now but the stuff is still around. Google local machine shops and ask them about it or pay one of tem to come out and get it out for you. I would have had this thing out within a hour with a few drill bits and an easy out and some wd40.

Buck is right on Grainger. They carry anything you would need.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Amazon--have it by Friday.

There is a Grainger's in Plano, 20 miles from you

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
id probly need a cobalt or titanium left hand drill bit. Getting the bolt out wouldnt even be a problem if i had either of those lol oh and it needs to be slotted because my electric drill is to big to fit in the spot, which is whats really ****ing me over. Either the machine shop or the acid is probly my only alternatives, tight gaps man

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
2 1/2 hrs one way is a hell of a drive indeed. call and see if there is a grainger near your area. left hand bits aren't common, you won't find very many, if any at all, in a generic hardware store. 1/8" is PN# 4DG94 and 5/32" is 4DG96. they are between $5 and $6 each if you can find one. i'm all about karma, i'll do it if you are still at an impasse sunday. i'll be checking your status on this thread.
its all good man! im sure ill be able to burn that **** off whenver i find out where to buy that tapout

·
dirt/street Motorsports
683 Posts
maybe throw a new pic to refresh our memories of what kind of beast we are dealing with here

·
Registered
13,624 Posts
Go to a tooling or machine shop and ask them about a chemical to do this job and make it easy. It's some kind of acid solution. It ONLY eats away and dissolves hard metals and won't hurt the aluminum head. The way it works is you put it on and it won't do anything. Then once you apply heat from a heat gun it will start to react and dosolve. It sounds crazy but I have seen this stuff in action before.

I'll try to search for it and see what I can find.

---------- Post added at 12:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 AM ----------

Okay. The stuff is called "tap out". It is basically nitric acid. It will dosolve ferrus metals and not aluminum.

You can buy it in a kit that comes with the acid, modeling clay and a neutralizer. The clay is to form a pool/dam around the area so it will not spill into something else. Then you have to keep it fresh so every 30 or so minutes use a syringe to suck it up and apply more. Then nurtalize the area and your done. No more bolt and a fresh clean hole.

Nitric acid is very dangerous and can react to different things so I would make sure you do not get it on anything and most important, yourself. Bye bye fingers.

That's effin brilliant! Nice.

·
Registered
140 Posts
agreed, drill bit and easy out could have had it done in 15mins. i've no **** done that at least 100times. and gotten it done everytime through one method or another. i don't think the acid is a good idea in this situation and under the current circumstances. that **** is gonna be messy, and its gonna run and get everywhere. murphys law (anything that can happen, will happen) + full metal's bad luck streak = **** is probably gonna happen. what if the acid runs down the oil galleys or all over the place? what if the neutralizer does the same? that option would be feasible if you were to remove the head and be able to get a good flushing/rinsing/neutralizing of the head. unless you like the thought of potentially contaminated your oil or getting acid on interference fit parts that are machined to thousandths of an inch for specific reasons.

·
dirt/street Motorsports
683 Posts
yea that acid **** seems like something fullmetall has no bizz messing with and proly me also lol

181 - 200 of 1155 Posts