Modded Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 1155 Posts

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
that second video makes this seem just way too easy....so easy that i am sure i will screw it up! lol. now to just buy some cams.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Yeah it just skips tcanhe cam cover removal and wire unplugging ****. It gets to the point. I've never.done cams on a 3v but done 2v and. Im Sure it's simple. At least you don't have to remove the timeing Cover and pulleys

·
Official Thread Killer
10,460 Posts
It's funny... A lot of **** seems way to easy when someone does it using their brain... Have you seen the "easy front spring install" I was like... WTF??!? Why didn't I know about this when I did mine?!?

All the normal steps were done, remove wheel, separate strut from wheel assembly, but then it was.... Turn one bolt and boom... Strut drops with spring already separate... Slide on new spring and reverse... It was like... 5mins a spring. I took the whole strut out, used a compressor, un bolted, un compressed, inserted new spring, bolt, compress, bolt, re install... It was like... 20 mins per

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
so i actually wasnt able to work on my car much yesturday, but i just got the cover off the drivers side. My main fear atm is getting dust and **** in the engine whenever i have to leave, so could i just throw a towel over it and be fine?

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Or just set the cover back on....otherwise towels have fibers they can drop in...I usually use plastic grocery sacs to cover stuff like that.

Where are you working on the car?

·
I love to skydive
17,286 Posts
so i actually wasnt able to work on my car much yesturday, but i just got the cover off the drivers side. My main fear atm is getting dust and **** in the engine whenever i have to leave, so could i just throw a towel over it and be fine?
Painters tape

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Grocery bag probly a good idea, I put some microfiber towels over it earlier, but it should be aight lol ill probly go balls deep tonight and get atleast one cam in. Are gaskets cheap? I figure I might buy a new pair if there like under $15. I was pretty careful taking off my gaskets but eh, better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Correct, as long as you didn't tear the gasket in half, it will be fine. Then some rtv.

·
Hoosier Daddy
170 Posts
I actually started my cam swap today.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
how do i unhook this cord?!

btw gl mate :D

Attachments

·
00blkvert
1,981 Posts
You shouldn't have to. Just pull off the 2 studs holding now your injectors and just lift your injectors/fuel rail and slide it around. You can also remove the 2 on the passenger side and just flip your whole fuel system over.

·
Hoosier Daddy
170 Posts
Yep. What he said^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
ok new questio, how do i get the followers out lol i finally figured out how to do use the valve compresor tool, but all i can do is wiggle the followers around, not sure how to actually remove them

·
00blkvert
1,981 Posts
Don't worry about the valve spring compressor. Remove the top journals in the sequence that's in the 2nd write up you listed. Once their removed and you the phaser bolt is out the cam is just sitting there. Have your dad grab the phaser while you hold the cam and just pull the phaser off. Once the phaser is off the cam will just be pulled out. Once you do this the followers just sit on top of the valve springs I literally mean they sit on top. Then do the opposite with the Hotrod cam slide it in the phaser put your phaser bolt in finger tight and put the Journals back on top of the cam in sequence listed in the writeup. Just pay attention to the followers if one wiggles off just wiggle it back on. Make sense?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Don't worry about the valve spring compressor. Remove the top journals in the sequence that's in the 2nd write up you listed. Once their removed and you the phaser bolt is out the cam is just sitting there. Have your dad grab the phaser while you hold the cam and just pull the phaser off. Once the phaser is off the cam will just be pulled out. Once you do this the followers just sit on top of the valve springs I literally mean they sit on top. Then do the opposite with the Hotrod cam slide it in the phaser put your phaser bolt in finger tight and put the Journals back on top of the cam in sequence listed in the writeup. Just pay attention to the followers if one wiggles off just wiggle it back on. Make sense?
Ohh so I should probly take the followers off after I take the cam out? Didn't stop to think that it might not be coming out because of the cam being in the way lol so that might be the issue. In the second write up, why is it that I only take out 3 followers on each side instead of all of them? I'm kind of confused about the whole follower situation tbh lol

·
00blkvert
1,981 Posts
You can pull out the followers if you like. The whole follower thing was a recommendation when the cams first cam out. Before I put mine in I watched a video from prodyno they said they usually don't pull the followers out. I also talked to Fastlane Motorsports(a big mustang shop here in NC) and they don't pull the followers.

Pulling the followers will make the cam go in slightly easier but if you and your dad are they I wouldn't worry about it. When you go to put them back in one of you hold the cam back in one of you hold the cam and watch the followers while the other puts the journals back on. Slowly work the journals down to where the cam is full in then tq them to spec.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
You can pull out the followers if you like. The whole follower thing was a recommendation when the cams first cam out. Before I put mine in I watched a video from prodyno they said they usually don't pull the followers out. I also talked to Fastlane Motorsports(a big mustang shop here in NC) and they don't pull the followers.

Pulling the followers will make the cam go in slightly easier but if you and your dad are they I wouldn't worry about it. When you go to put them back in one of you hold the cam back in one of you hold the cam and watch the followers while the other puts the journals back on. Slowly work the journals down to where the cam is full in then tq them to spec.
I see! Ok. So in the first guide he took all of them out, and the second he only took 3 out on each side, but I don't really have to do either then huh? Guess ill just try to get away without taking them out. I still don't fully understand why he took them out before remove the cam in the second guide tho.
Thanks for all your help, you've been a huge help the last few days.

21 - 40 of 1155 Posts