Modded Mustang Forums banner

41 - 60 of 1155 Posts

·
00blkvert
1,981 Posts
The 1st guide was probably one of the original installs. The 2nd is actually was in the FRPP Hotrod instuctions(I think) He pulls them out because it helps relieve tension on cam. You'll see what i'm talking about, tension wise, when you put the new cams in.

Check out the 2nd video that cschoening09 post scroll to about 2:40 ish it shows you exactly what to do and how to remove the phaser bolt, pull the phaser off, and starts pulling the phasers etc

NP i'll stay on longer and keep checking back for you

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
The 1st guide was probably one of the original installs. The 2nd is actually was in the FRPP Hotrod instuctions(I think) He pulls them out because it helps relieve tension on cam. You'll see what i'm talking about, tension wise, when you put the new cams in.

Check out the 2nd video that cschoening09 post scroll to about 2:40 ish it shows you exactly what to do and how to remove the phaser bolt, pull the phaser off, and starts pulling the phasers etc

NP i'll stay on longer and keep checking back for you
Gawd your my hero right now haha ok so don't mess with the followers then and just have my dad help me get the cam in/out?

·
00blkvert
1,981 Posts
Yup. Just check your followers they can fall off. I did my passenger side 1st and none fell off then I went to the driver side and 2 slide off some. Just pay attention if you see it sliding just slide it back on.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Yup. Just check your followers they can fall off. I did my passenger side 1st and none fell off then I went to the driver side and 2 slide off some. Just pay attention if you see it sliding just slide it back on.
Awesome, I'm gunna just get it all done in the morning then. This isn't actually near as complicating as I thought it would be. After going through a lot of it I understand pretty well how the whole process works now and it's not to intricate.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
No its not a hard job at all. Just pay attention to everything and the extra set of eyes/hands helps a lot.
Definitely. Tomarrow, that video is getting posted!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Snapped TWO journal bolts before I realized the difference between foot-pound and inch-pound. Didn't realize they measures in inch-pound lol is there any chance that I ****ed **** up or is it fine? One bolt snapped off in the engine so I gotta get that **** out the hard way. Is the cam bolts just regular bolts that I can get at Home Depot or do I have to go to the stealership?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Dude that sucks! Yea huge difference in inch pounds and foot pounds. While you could buy bolts at Home Depot that fit, I would buy new ones from ford. There is a reason why they snapped at such slight torque.

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

The bolts you ll need to get from the dealership. They areTTY bolts. Your local parts store may have them may not.
If the journal bolts are TTY why don't we need new ones each time? Thought TTY bolts were not reusable like crank bolts, phaser bolts and those things?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Yeah I figured, oh well, tomarrow is the day I finish it lol time to work on the other cam! REALLY hope I don't **** **** up getting this bolt out lol

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
If you do, will you sell me your HR cams? ;)

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
alright well im trying to fit my cam into the sprocket but its not lining up, when i turn it to were it does line up to fit into the sprocket, it lifts itself up and it wont fit. Should i just roll to engine to were it will fit or take out the 3 followers and re-install them after ive put the cam into the sprocket?

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
DO NOT roll the engine over...iv'e seen a couple vids where they take some channel locks and a towels and grab between the lobes of the cam to turn it...NOT WHERE THE CAM CAPS GO THOUGH.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
DO NOT roll the engine over...iv'e seen a couple vids where they take some channel locks and a towels and grab between the lobes of the cam to turn it...NOT WHERE THE CAM CAPS GO THOUGH.
Ok so not at the end of the cams basically? And I do this after I get all the journals put/tightened in?

---------- Post added at 06:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 PM ----------

Also make sure you have the correct cam for the correct side..
I'd be totally screwed right now if I didn't when I put them in lol just incase, it's the passenger side can that's shorter right?

·
00blkvert
1,981 Posts
The cam should just slide in to the phasers. You will have to wiggle it some but it goes in. Yes the back end of the cam will be hard to push do down this is what I was saying earlier with the tension. Journals back on do not over tighten them down just use them to help you hold the cam. Put the front journal on first then I think its the middle on and just finger tighten them then move to the next. Once you keep finger tightening you'll see the cam will start pushing down in the back once their all down tighten them to TQ spec. 89in pds

Check Step 6 on the Hammeron guide(the blue back ground write up) that's how the first 3 lobes should look with the cam.

yes the passenger side is shorter.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
The cam should just slide in to the phasers. You will have to wiggle it some but it goes in. Yes the back end of the cam will be hard to push do down this is what I was saying earlier with the tension. Journals back on do not over tighten them down just use them to help you hold the cam. Put the front journal on first then I think its the middle on and just finger tighten them then move to the next. Once you keep finger tightening you'll see the cam will start pushing down in the back once their all down tighten them to TQ spec. 89in pds

Check Step 6 on the Hammeron guide(the blue back ground write up) that's how the first 3 lobes should look with the cam.

yes the passenger side is shorter.
I'm guessing the engine just isn't turned to the right position then since when I turn the camshaft to put it in the phaser, it raises up. Ok so... I'm going with the putting the journals in then turning the cam with the wrag technique? I probly make every install as difficult as it could possibly be haha

I'm looking at step 6, so does this mean i DO have to turn the engine then? So much confusion lol whenever I got to that step, I skipped it because I was only working on the drivers side

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
don't turn the engine. You should be fine if it slides in and if you marked the phaser so its in the correct spot it just may be harder to tighten.
Yeah phaser hasn't changed any, it's stayed in the same spot but when I slide the cam, the slot that fits into the sprocket thing is like 120degrees away from the sprocket key. It's literally in the worst spot lol it probly gets up to it's highest point whenever I turn the cam to where it fits in, and it's way to high to get the cam in the sprocket thing.

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

I'm gunna grow the journals on there, hand tighten and turn the cam till it fits, that should work just fine.

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

So your saying don't grab the ends of the cam right? The video that was linked earlier specifically says not the grab anything in the valve train, so now I'm confused again haha

41 - 60 of 1155 Posts